Figuring Displacement from acceleration

In summary, the car travels 72m after 6 seconds of accelerating, 24m after 8 seconds of coasting, and 96m when it decelerates at the second stop sign.
deenuh20

Homework Statement

A car starts from rest at a stop sign. It accelerates at 2.0 m/s^2 for 6.0 seconds, coasts for 2.0 s, and then slows down at a rate of 1.5 m/s^2 for the next stop sign. How far apart are the stop signs?

Homework Equations

not sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to split up this problem into 3 parts: from the first stop sign to after 6s when it begins to coast, when its coasting, and when it starts decelerating at the second stop sign. I think i figured out the first few parts, but how could i figure the displacement from the 3rd part? Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
this is a constant acceleration problem

relevant equations:

[tex]s = ut +0.5 a t^2[/tex]
[tex]s = 0.5(u+v)t[/tex]

Can you show the work you've done so far?

If you know the velocities at time t=6, t=8, t to get to stop sign. You can determine the distance. you may or may not need the final t.

edit: ok you will need the 3 times, velocities at time t=6,8. You know starting/ending velocities.

so you have 3 distances:
accelating coasting decelarating
x1 **** x2 *** x3

to get the total distance just add those 3 up.

When you show your work we can help out more.

Last edited:
You will have to find the time it takes to come to a stop for the third part.

thanks but what is "u" a variable for? plus i don't have the time it takes for it to decelerate. i only have the deceleration speed. so pretty much its just the initial velocity and acceleration that i have to work with. am i missing something?

you have all you need. u stands for initial velocity in that equation.

To start off with the first part. t=0 to t=6. acceleration = 2.0m/s^2

so find the distance the car travels in that part. since the car starts from rest it's initial velocity =0.

To get to the second part you need to know the initial velocity (final velocity for the first part). So use a kinematic equation to determine that velocity and you go from there.

u is the standard (or most widely used) symbol for initial speed. v is commonly used for final speed.

i love these types of problems :-]

An alternative method is to draw a speed-time graph and find the area underneath the line.

well for the first part of the problem, a=v/t, so i found the velocity by multiplying 2 m/s^2 by 6s and got 12 m/s. from this i got a displacement of 72m after 6 seconds.

for the second part, i used the initial velocity of 12 m/s * 2seconds and got a displacement of 24m. This now gives me 96m of displacement for the first 8 seconds.

Now, for the third part, i have acceleration as -1.5 m/s^2 and an initial velocity of 12 m/s. for the above equations, x=Vi+.5at^2, i have Vi and a, but i don't have t nor x. what am i missing. thanks again.

You will have to use another of the kinematic equations to find the time. Specifically in case you don't know: [itex] v = u + at[/itex]

you first part is wrong.

12m/s is the final velocity at time 6s.

in order to find the distance between t=0 to t=6 just do:
x=x0+ut+1/2at^2

and you know starting position/velocity.

for the 3rd part you can find t if you use v=u+at. since you know the starting velocity, deceleration, and what will the final velocity when the car stops be?

using that t you can solve for the 3rd distance and add them all up.

ahh got it. thanks a lot guys!

What is displacement?

Displacement is a measure of the distance and direction of an object's change in position from its initial position.

How is displacement calculated from acceleration?

Displacement can be calculated from acceleration using the equation: d = v0t + 1/2at2, where d is displacement, v0 is initial velocity, a is acceleration, and t is time.

What is the difference between displacement and distance?

Displacement is a vector quantity that takes into account both magnitude and direction, while distance is a scalar quantity that only measures the length of the path traveled.

How does positive and negative acceleration affect displacement?

Positive acceleration will result in an object increasing its displacement, while negative acceleration will result in the object decreasing its displacement. In both cases, the direction of the acceleration will also affect the direction of the displacement.

How does displacement relate to velocity and acceleration?

Displacement is directly related to velocity and acceleration. Velocity is the rate of change of displacement, and acceleration is the rate of change of velocity. Therefore, displacement can be calculated from velocity and acceleration using appropriate equations.