Solving Torsion Problem Homework

• Thread starter Precursor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torsion
In summary, the conversation is about calculating the torsion and sheer stress in a shaft by drawing a free-body diagram and using formulas such as tau/r = T/J = G*theta/L. The participants suggest breaking the shaft into sections and calculating the torque and angle of twist for each section, and then adding them up to find the total torque and sheer stress. The conversation also mentions making sure to assign positive and negative values for clockwise and counterclockwise torque, respectively.
Precursor
Homework Statement
[PLAIN]http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/1089/64194000.jpg

The attempt at a solution
How should I get started on this one?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
How about drawing a free-body diagram of the shaft, and plotting the torsion as a function of length along the shaft?

use tau/r = T/J = G*theta/L

Precursor said:
How should I get started on this one?

You know the free end (D) is experiencing just 900 N*m of torque, thus, section C-D is only experiencing 900 N*m of torque. Continuing this approach, section B-C is experiencing 900 + 2100 N*m of torque. Continuing this approach, how much torque is section A-B experiencing?

Once you have the torques of all three sections, calculate the sheer stress in each section. Along the way, calculate the angle of twist for each section, and add them up, making sure that for CW torque, it's positive, and for CCW torque, it's negative.

I would recommend starting by carefully reading and understanding the homework statement and the given image. Then, I would suggest breaking down the problem into smaller parts and identifying any relevant equations or theories that could be applied. It may also be helpful to consult with classmates or the instructor for any clarification or additional resources. Additionally, conducting experiments or simulations could aid in finding a solution to the torsion problem. It is important to approach the problem with a logical and systematic approach, and to not get discouraged if it takes time to find a solution. Good luck!

1. How do I approach solving a torsion problem in my homework?

To solve a torsion problem, first identify the system and the forces acting on it. Then, apply the equations of equilibrium and compatibility to determine the unknown variables. Finally, use the appropriate torsion formula to solve for the desired quantity.

2. What are the common mistakes to avoid when solving torsion problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving torsion problems include forgetting to account for all forces acting on the system, using incorrect or outdated formulas, and not checking the units of your final answer.

3. What are some tips for simplifying complex torsion problems?

One helpful tip for simplifying complex torsion problems is to break the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. Another tip is to draw free body diagrams and label all known and unknown quantities, which can help organize your thoughts and equations.

4. How do I know if I have solved a torsion problem correctly?

You can check the accuracy of your solution by using a different method to solve the problem, such as using a different torsion formula or approach. Additionally, checking the units and ensuring they are consistent with the desired quantity can also help verify your solution.

5. Are there any real-world applications of solving torsion problems?

Yes, torsion problems are commonly encountered in engineering and design, particularly in the construction of bridges, buildings, and other structures. Understanding torsion is also important in the design of mechanical systems, such as engines and turbines.