Mechanics of materials -- deformation problem

In summary, the diagram is very difficult to read and it is not clear what is causing node N to move downwards. Without knowing more about the diagram, it is difficult to say if the method of superposition is correct.
Yossi33
Homework Statement
find the deformation of the structure and find delta(N).
Relevant Equations
deformations equations
Motif-1.jpg

Hi, i'm struggling with that problem , i need to find the distance that point N went down.My way of thinking is that the structure is twice not statically determined because of the beam MN and beacuse of the left support which is also unnecessary in order for equilibrium. My 2 equations of deformation in order to find the variables are d(N)-d(M)=d(Lmn) and d(N) of the left beam equal to the d(N) of the right beam.
i thought to denote the force of the beam as N and then to divide to to each beam (pic 1) then i got the problem that i have a beam with no support and a force that causing it do go down, so i tought (pic 2 ) that the beam NM is equal to support there and got the problem that if there is a support it wont get down. in addition to that i cant figure out if the force that bending one beam is causing the torsion of the other , because the left doesnt resist that its only has a translational resistance. I wonder if my initial analysis is somehow correct and what other perspective there is to solve problems like this. thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
The posted diagram is very difficult to read.
What is causing node N to move downwards?

Likes Yossi33
W the uniform load acts on the beam , that casues the member NM to stretch and as a result , bending down the upper structure.
Note 10 Jan 2023 (1)-1.jpg
Note 10 Jan 2023-1.jpg

Thank you.
Is node M perfectly articulated in the three directions of the links converging at it?
If so, it seems that link TM can be removed with no consequences for our problem.

Likes Yossi33
no , also in the diagram you can see that it is a half node and the upper structure TMS is continous . and i did some extra black there to emphasize the rigidity of the 90 degree.
.- edit - that is why i said that the structure is two times statically indeterminate.

Have you studied the method of superposition, which states that the deflection at any point on the beam is equal to the resultant of the slopes or deflections at that point caused by each of the load acting separately?

yes, that is why i stated that my first try was to compare the displacements of point M , and the solution is 2 equations of deformations because the structure is twice statically indeterminate but i try to solve that and i dont know if its right or no . can you tell me if its ok or if im in the right direction? , its in the pdf

Attachments

• Note 11 Jan 2023.pdf
    371.5 KB · Views: 77

1. What is the definition of "deformation" in mechanics of materials?

Deformation in mechanics of materials refers to the change in shape or size of a material when it is subjected to external forces or loads. This can include stretching, bending, twisting, or compressing of the material.

2. How is deformation measured in mechanics of materials?

Deformation is typically measured using strain, which is the ratio of the change in length or shape of a material to its original length or shape. It can also be measured using displacement, which is the change in position of a point on the material's surface.

3. What factors affect the amount of deformation in a material?

The amount of deformation in a material is affected by its physical properties, such as elasticity and strength, as well as the type and magnitude of the external forces or loads applied to it.

4. What is the difference between elastic and plastic deformation?

Elastic deformation is temporary and reversible, meaning the material returns to its original shape once the external forces are removed. Plastic deformation, on the other hand, is permanent and irreversible, causing a permanent change in the material's shape or size.

5. How is deformation analyzed in mechanics of materials?

Deformation is analyzed using mathematical equations and principles, such as Hooke's Law and stress-strain relationships, to determine the stress and strain in a material under a given set of external forces or loads. This information can then be used to predict the material's behavior and potential failure points.