How long does it take a textbook to become obsolete?

• Thread starter lol_nl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Textbook
In summary, it is difficult to determine the relevance of old textbooks for present-day courses and research. While some books can remain useful for decades, it depends on the subject and how much it has evolved. It is important to focus on learning the fundamental mathematical framework, as modern applications can be learned in later courses. Some subjects, such as functional analysis, may require more up-to-date textbooks due to recent developments in the field. However, for more established fields like basic physics, older textbooks can still be valuable. It is also worth considering the quality of the book itself, such as bindings and typesetting. Ultimately, the best approach is to consult with experts and consider your own learning style and needs when choosing a textbook.
lol_nl
Recently, I bought a number of cheap Dover textbooks on (mathematical) topics I am going to study coming semester, including Abstract Algebra, Differential Geometry and Functional Analysis. I found some of the books remarkably clear and well-written, but as I was reading through them and looked at the publication date I wondered whether the material was still relevant for my university studies. Of course, experts may say that great textbooks will always continue to be great textbooks, but my question concerns the link with present-day courses and research. How much value is there in studying old texts if one is mainly concerned with understanding the material so as to do well in university and later on? Also, how long does a textbook go along before the material becomes irrelevant? Would it still be worth looking through Soviet era textbooks from the 1950s?

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on the subject. Some books last 50 years easily, especially if the field is not evolving too much anymore, or if they describe the basics which would have remained unchanged. I use the 1962 ed. f Milne-Thomson's theoretical hydrodynamics and it's still a great book. Same goes with some physics books. Feynman's lectures are still top material.

What you are studying is fundamentals. You will probably get the chance for modern applications in later courses, so it's a good idea to just focus on learning the mathematical framework you need to advance to the more complex topics. I wouldn't worry too much about the book date if I were you, unless you have reason to believe that something big has changed since then.

For instance, if you are reading functional analysis it may be worth getting a newer book, since Perelman and others made great contributions to the field not too long ago. Still, that is only the case if the writers have bothered to include extra info on the subject :biggrin:

The last edition of Whittaker & Watson was printed in 1927 and people still swear by it (the first edition was issued in 1902!)

For basic physics not much has changed in the last 60 years. There may be several topics that, for example, a modern QM book might add, like Berry Phase or Bell's Theorem. And some of the oldest books will not use Dirac notation (except for Dirac, of course).

The 50s and 60s of the last century were a great era for physics books, including the quality of the bindings and typesetting. You might want to look for older hardcover copies before buying a Dover edition.

For, say, QFT or GR, some of the older books may be useful, but there are better introductions.

Last edited:
A good rule of thumb is how mature the field is. For instance, you wouldn't want a book on relativity that was written close to Einstein's time. A calculus book at that time however could still be great since calculus had already been around for about 200 years :biggrin:

euclid is still the best book on geometry and euler's algebra book is still the best on algebra, the book of courant and even the cours d'analyse of goursat are still outstanding on calculus, and i may be odd, but I even rather like einstein and pauli on relativity. And I never understood how simple the Riemann Roch theorem was until I read Riemann. My friends in number theory highly recommend Gauss's Disquisitiones,...

mathwonk said:
euclid is still the best book on geometry and euler's algebra book is still the best on algebra, the book of courant and even the cours d'analyse of goursat are still outstanding on calculus, and i may be odd, but I even rather like einstein and pauli on relativity. And I never understood how simple the Riemann Roch theorem was until I read Riemann. My friends in number theory highly recommend Gauss's Disquisitiones,...

as a side note have you tracked your math lineage to see if any of the great mathematicians taught you indirectly?

http://genealogy.math.ndsu.nodak.edu/index.php

clemens, griffiths, spencer, hardy, littlewood, cayley, waring, Newton, galileo, tartaglia,...

New books usually are not better - they are just new.
If you have courses that follow a book closely, it's best to have the related books.
In university that is usually not the case in my experience - lecturers usually swear by their own notes, which you will need.

1. How is "obsolete" defined when it comes to textbooks?

The term "obsolete" can refer to various factors, but in the context of textbooks, it usually means that the information presented in the textbook is outdated or no longer considered accurate or relevant.

2. How long does it take for a textbook to become obsolete?

The lifespan of a textbook can vary greatly depending on the subject matter and how quickly new information is discovered and shared. On average, a textbook can become obsolete within 3-5 years.

3. What are some factors that contribute to a textbook becoming obsolete?

Some factors that can contribute to a textbook becoming obsolete include new research findings, changes in laws or regulations, advancements in technology, and cultural shifts.

4. Can a textbook become obsolete before its expected lifespan?

Yes, it is possible for a textbook to become obsolete before its expected lifespan. This can happen if there are major developments or discoveries in the subject area that render the information in the textbook outdated.

5. Is there anything that can be done to prevent a textbook from becoming obsolete?

While it is impossible to completely prevent a textbook from becoming obsolete, authors and publishers can update and revise the content as needed to keep it relevant. Additionally, using digital platforms for textbooks allows for easier and quicker updates to be made.