What are some recommended books for particle physics?

In summary, for those interested in particle physics, some recommended books are Martinus Veltman's "Facts and Mysteries in Elementary Particle Physics", Sean Carroll's "The Higgs Boson and Beyond", David Griffiths' "Revolutions in Twentieth-Century Physics", and Bruce Schumm's "Deep Down Things". These books cover a range of levels and approaches, from introductory to more advanced and conceptual.
Nstraw
I am mostly interested in particle physics so if anyone can suggest some good books for it

Physics news on Phys.org
What level of physics and math have you studied?

High school mathematics and physics and studying further

I'd recommend:

Martinus Veltman, Facts and Mysteries in Elementary Particle Physics.

Also, Sean Carroll's book on the Higgs just came out (haven't read it yet).

Thank you
o

David Griffiths has a new book, "Revolutions in Twentieth-Century Physics", that contains some particle physics, and that I have pre-ordered. From Amazon's website: "Suitable for undergraduate students in non-science as well as science subjects, it uses problems and worked examples to help readers develop an understanding of what recent advances in physics actually mean."

This looks like it is an excellent book that is up to Griffiths' usual high standards,

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1107602173/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Use the LOOK INSIDE! feature to look at the Table of Contents. Anyone who has an Amazon account can sample portions of the book.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bruce Schumm's https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003X4KCFS/?tag=pfamazon01-20 is a conceptual / intuitive presentation of particle physics and many of the mathematical ideas such as Lie groups and gauge theory.

Ok i will try to have my hands on the books you have mentioned

1. What is particle physics?

Particle physics is a branch of physics that studies the fundamental building blocks of matter and their interactions. It involves studying subatomic particles such as electrons, protons, and neutrons, and the forces that govern their behavior.

2. What are some important books for learning about particle physics?

Some popular books for learning about particle physics include "Introduction to Elementary Particles" by David Griffiths, "The Particle Odyssey" by Frank Close, and "Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur" by Tom Lancaster and Stephen J. Blundell.

3. How does particle physics relate to other fields of science?

Particle physics has connections to many other fields of science, such as cosmology, astrophysics, and nuclear physics. It also has practical applications in fields such as medicine and engineering.

4. Are there any recent breakthroughs in particle physics that are worth reading about?

Yes, there have been many exciting discoveries in particle physics in recent years. Some notable ones include the discovery of the Higgs boson at the Large Hadron Collider, the detection of gravitational waves, and the observation of neutrino oscillations.

5. Can anyone understand particle physics, or is it only for experts?

While particle physics can be a complex and challenging subject, it is possible for anyone to understand the basics. Many books on particle physics are written for a general audience and do not require an advanced scientific background. However, it may require some effort and perseverance to fully grasp the concepts.