Need some input from experienced engineers regarding job opportunity.

• Engineering
  • Thread starter andylie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Input Job
In summary, the individual is currently deciding between becoming an Electrical Engineer or Software Engineer after working as an auto mechanic for three years. They are currently taking prerequisite courses for both majors and seeking guidance from experienced engineers. They are leaning towards electrical engineering due to personal interest and potential job opportunities. Others suggest gaining practical experience through projects in addition to coursework. The individual is also interested in self-study materials for programming.
andylie
Hi everyone.
I am stuck between Electrical Engineer and Software Engineer.
I finished automotive program 3 years ago and currently work as auto mechanic. I like my job, but the pay isn't that high so i decided to go back and get a higher degree in engineering.
Im currently taking all prerequisites courses for my Engineering major, and I am stuck between Electrical Engineer and Software Engineer.
I know many experienced engineers in this forum and i humbly ask for your guidances and input.
Which one should i pick? what kind of work that those two engineers do? Which one has more employment opportunity?

Thank you so much for your reply and advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
It really depends what you enjoy more. They're really quite different. Employability probably is more dependent on location.

Personally, I'd lean towards electrical because I find it more interesting curriculum-wise, and less specific than software. Do you like computer programming now?

I never take any programming class yet, and i don't know whether it is hard or no.
But i had taken some basic electrical class, and i like it.
I haven't really get into the program yet, I am still taking all the prerequisites courses for the program.
Both Computer Engineer/Software Engineer and Electrical Engineer have the same prerequisites courses for math and physics. I have at least 4 more semester until i finished all my prerequisite and transfer to university for the Engineering core classes.

I live at San Francisco Bay Area, i think there are more Job opportunities for Software Engineer than Electrical Engineer, but i might be wrong.

Hey andylie and welcome to the forums.

If you end up going the software development route, I'd strongly recommend you get a pris oject or two under your belt that is related to the particular area you want to get a job in.

You should do this on top of your core courses because in the real world, you'll be expected to start producing code very quickly and you will probably be thrown in the deep end with a list of API's, documents to read, and a massive code base that you need to understand very quickly.

If you do projects, try and and make them a bit big (but not too big that they won't get done or are un-realistic) and see if you can work on a multi-person project (i.e. shared repository). These kinds of things will prepare you for the real world jobs.

Doing both the projects and the course-work will give you overall and specific experience and you need both for the real world. Having only general experience is not useful and having specific experience without a general background of things like algorithms, operating systems, data structures and so on is also not a good idea.

Chiro, do you know if there is any good basic programming lessons such as textbook, or some other things that i can use for self-study? I have nothing to do in my free time besides playing games. I think maybe i should start look at the book and teach myself rather than wasting my time on games.
Thank you for your information

There is a free set of books on learning C++ which I looked at when I was learning:

http://mindview.net/Books/TICPP/ThinkingInCPP2e.html

Chiro, thanks for all information. I really appreciate it. I will get the book and look at the material to get to know what thing that I will run into.

FAQ: Need some input from experienced engineers regarding job opportunity.

1. What qualifications and experience are required for this job opportunity?

The specific qualifications and experience required for this job opportunity may vary depending on the industry and the specific role. However, generally, a degree in engineering or a related field and a few years of experience in a similar role would be preferred.

2. Can you provide more details about the job responsibilities and duties?

The job responsibilities and duties will also depend on the specific role and industry. However, in general, engineers are responsible for designing, developing, and maintaining various systems and structures. This may involve conducting research, analyzing data, creating plans and designs, and overseeing the implementation of projects.

3. What is the salary and benefits package for this job opportunity?

The salary and benefits package for this job opportunity will depend on various factors such as the industry, location, and level of experience. It is best to discuss these details with the hiring manager or HR representative during the interview process.

4. Are there opportunities for career growth and development in this position?

Most engineering roles offer opportunities for career growth and development. This may include taking on more responsibilities, pursuing additional education or certifications, or moving into a higher position within the company. It is important to discuss your career goals and potential growth opportunities with the employer during the interview process.

5. What is the workplace culture like at this company?

The workplace culture can vary greatly from one company to another. It is best to do some research on the company's values, mission, and work environment before accepting a job offer. Additionally, you can ask specific questions about the company culture during the interview process to get a better understanding of what it would be like to work there.