Electrical engineer jobs that aren't hardware based

In summary, the speaker is looking for electrical engineering jobs that focus more on software/programming/statistics rather than hardware. They have an undergraduate degree in economics and mathematics and a masters in electrical engineering with a focus on communications. They are having trouble finding entry level jobs that match their interests and are wondering what to search for. The speaker suggests searching for embedded software or disciplines that heavily use statistics, such as signal processing. They also recommend searching by programming languages/software packages, such as Matlab. They note that job availability may vary by location, with the SF Bay Area being a popular option. Additionally, they mention the possibility of working on electric distribution grids for cities, with companies like Exelon and Entergy hiring for these positions.
thestrong
How do I find electrical engineering jobs that aren't hardware based? I am looking for jobs that are more software/programming/statistical based work. My undergraduate was in economics and mathematics. My masters is in electrical engineering with an emphasis in communications. When searching for entry level engineering jobs, I can't seem to find jobs more in the software/statistical side of things. What should I be searching under?

Physics news on Phys.org
Embedded software would be one option that has many jobs, unless that is too close to hardware. What kind of statistical work do you want? Try searching for disciplines which use statistics heavily, for example signal processing, and also try searching by programming languages/software packages, e.g. Matlab. Availability of these sorts of jobs is likely to vary greatly by location. SF Bay Area would be an obvious choice if you are in the US, but it's extremely expensive, almost prohibitively so if you are entry-level.

Want something practical, yet heavily statistical? Try working on electric distribution grids for cities. Companies such as Exelon and Entergy are hiring.

What is an electrical engineer job that is not hardware-based?

An electrical engineer job that is not hardware-based is a job that focuses on the design, development, and implementation of software and digital systems, rather than physical hardware components.

What are some examples of non-hardware based electrical engineer jobs?

Examples of non-hardware based electrical engineer jobs include software engineer, systems engineer, embedded systems engineer, control systems engineer, and telecommunications engineer.

What skills are needed for non-hardware based electrical engineer jobs?

Some key skills needed for non-hardware based electrical engineer jobs include proficiency in programming languages, knowledge of digital systems and signal processing, familiarity with software development processes, and strong problem-solving abilities.

What industries offer non-hardware based electrical engineer jobs?

Non-hardware based electrical engineer jobs can be found in a variety of industries, including technology, telecommunications, aerospace, automotive, and consumer electronics.

What are the career prospects for non-hardware based electrical engineers?

The demand for non-hardware based electrical engineers is expected to continue to grow in the coming years, as technology continues to advance and digital systems become more prevalent in various industries. These roles also offer competitive salaries and opportunities for advancement into leadership positions.