Black Holes & Stars - What Do We Know?

In summary, there are various ways to receive information from objects other than stars, such as cosmic rays, cosmic background radiation, and the effects of extrasolar planets on their stars. Black holes are not directly detectable, but their presence can be inferred through their effects on surrounding matter.
bhpv
Hi,

One can register waves of light.
Is there anything known different then stars where we receive information from?
Say black holes?

I really guess.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi bhpv,
I think I can help you, but I really don't understand the question. Can you rephrase it? And be more specific?

Yes, I agree w/ Dennis --- your question is incoherent

Hi,
Ok. Sorry for that.
I do not understand what one can experience from black holes here on earth.

Black holes are not directly detectable. We detect them by their effects on surrounding matter. For example, if you see a star orbiting around something, but you can't see the thing it is orbiting, then the thing is probably a black hole.

bhpv said:

First, I'd like to explain that I didn't understand that question because there are different answers to it but the general answer to that question is : yes!

bhpv said:
I do not understand what one can experience from black holes here on earth.

This question I understand :smile:. Black holes are very hard to detect, but there are good reasons for believing that they exist; as an example, astronomers have seen stars orbiting what appears as a very large "dark" mass centre in the centre of the Milky Way.

I sincerely recommend this clip:
ESOcast 2: Unprecedented 16-year long study tracks stars orbiting Milky Way black hole

bhpv said:
Say black holes?
Try a google search on "gravitational lensing black hole".

1. What are black holes?

Black holes are regions in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. They are formed when a massive star dies and collapses in on itself, creating a singularity - a point of infinite density and gravity.

2. How do we detect black holes?

We can detect black holes indirectly through their effects on surrounding matter, such as the distortion of light from distant stars or the emission of X-rays from gas falling into the black hole. We can also observe the gravitational effects of black holes on nearby objects.

3. Can anything escape from a black hole?

According to our current understanding of physics, nothing can escape from inside the event horizon of a black hole. The event horizon is the point of no return, beyond which the gravitational pull of the black hole is too strong for even light to escape.

4. What happens when a star becomes a black hole?

When a star dies and becomes a black hole, its outer layers collapse inwards due to gravity, while the core collapses to a point of infinite density and gravity - the singularity. The size of the black hole's event horizon depends on the mass of the star - the more massive the star, the larger the event horizon.

5. Can the gravitational pull of a black hole affect us on Earth?

The gravitational pull of a black hole can only affect us if we get too close to it. The closest known black hole to Earth is about 3,000 light-years away, which is too far to have any significant impact on us. However, the gravitational pull of black holes plays a crucial role in the formation and evolution of galaxies and the universe as a whole.