How to solve kinematics problems in physics?

• Thread starter Streetpack
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, the speaker is new to the site and is seeking help with physics as they are struggling with understanding it. They provide four problems and ask for help with a fifth one. They mention that they have not yet started calculus and are currently in grade 11 in Quebec. They struggle with the background concepts in physics before it becomes math.
Streetpack
Hey, everyone I am new to this site... I found it because I am despreate need of help in physics. I just started it this year and am having extreme difficulty. My average in my advanced math class is 87% but I just can't seem to get physics. I don't like to blame teachers but to be honest he is not very helpful or easy to understand. I have the answers for the current problems because he gave them to us but I need a lot of help understanding the process.

Anyway

1. A car parked 40Km east of a train station travels westwards for 4 hours. If after 4 hours the car is observed to be 100Km west of the station, determine the average velocity of the car

2. A skier accelerates down a hill from 2.5 m/s to 8.9 m/s in 3.4s. Determine the distance the skier tavelled during his acceleration.

3. A truck, traveling at 22 m/s, accelerates constantly while going through a tunnel. If the truck's acceleration is 4.0 m/s^2 and it exits the tunnel with a velocity of 35 m/s, determine the length of the tunnel

4. A pony running at 3.0 m/s, accelerates uniformly at 3 m/s^2 for 5 s. What is the displacement during the second second

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and there is more stuff to come...

Physics news on Phys.org
1. You know that the average velocity will be the product of the total distance traveled and the time. You don't have to worry about displacement issues because he travels in only one direction.

2. A kinematic equation will solve this. Advanced math probably doesn't mean calculus, so you have probably been given kinematic equations so solve algebraically.

3. Again, you could use a kinematic equation.

4. This question confuses me, but it seems like you are supposed to find how far it goes after two seconds and ignore the other three seconds.

Mindscrape said:
1. You know that the average velocity will be the product of the total distance traveled and the time. You don't have to worry about displacement issues because he travels in only one direction.

2. A kinematic equation will solve this. Advanced math probably doesn't mean calculus, so you have probably been given kinematic equations so solve algebraically.

3. Again, you could use a kinematic equation.

4. This question confuses me, but it seems like you are supposed to find how far it goes after two seconds and ignore the other three seconds.

thx a lot... it's still hard for me and I don't know why... just one problem I need help with this time

5. A projectile is launched straight up at 250m/s. Some time later it is observed to be coming straight down at at 150m/s. What is the lapse time between observations. (ignore frictional losses)

and Yes you were right, I didn't start calculus yet... I'm in Grade 11 high school.. however in Quebec that's the year we graduate followed by going to cegep which is like 2-3 years (depending on program) then it's university, so I am starting Calculus next year and everything in physics is done algebraicilly (sp??) although I am good at algebra itself... it's the whole background stuff I have problems with in physics before it becomes math.

What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. It involves the use of equations and graphs to describe and analyze the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects as they move.

What are the three types of kinematics equations?

The three types of kinematics equations are displacement equations, velocity equations, and acceleration equations. These equations use the variables of time, initial velocity, final velocity, acceleration, and displacement to describe the motion of an object.

How do I solve a kinematics problem?

To solve a kinematics problem, you first need to identify the variables given in the problem and the variables you need to find. Then, you can use the appropriate kinematics equations to set up an equation and solve for the unknown variable. It is important to pay attention to units and use the correct equation for the given situation.

What is the difference between average and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement of an object divided by the total time it takes to travel that displacement. Instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time, or at a specific point in its motion. It is calculated by taking the derivative of the position function with respect to time.

What factors affect an object's acceleration?

An object's acceleration is affected by its mass and the net force acting on it. According to Newton's second law of motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force and inversely proportional to its mass. In addition, the direction of the net force also affects the direction of the acceleration.