Understanding Heart Cancer: Incidence and Impact on the Human Body

In summary: Originally posted by Loren Booda This notion is questioned by those who demonstrate that although most adult myocytes are terminally differentiated, there is a small and continuously renewed subpopulation of cycling myocytes produced by the differentiation of cardiac stem-like cells. This postulated inability of the myocardium to form new...cells is now being called the myocardiopathy hypothesis. I see. Thanks for the clarification.
Loren Booda
While assessing the various tissues in the human body, I was unable to recall ever having heard of the cardiovascular system being affected by cancer. Does cancer of the heart exist, and what is its incidence relative to other cancers?

Biology news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Loren Booda
While assessing the various tissues in the human body, I was unable to recall ever having heard of the cardiovascular system being affected by cancer. Does cancer of the heart exist, and what is its incidence relative to other cancers?

In the more than 30 years that I've worked in the medical field, I've only come across one or two patients with a tumor in the heart, so they do exist, but apparently are quite rare. I'll see if I can come up with more information for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another informative piece:
http://www.kaymed.com/medterms_thm.htm

One last one. These ought to keep you busy for a while.
http://www.cancer.org/downloads/PUB/DOCS/SECTION28/91.pdf

Tsunami,

A wealth of information. I am especially sorry for children affected by disease, thankfully in these cases a rare occurrence.

Briefly, a primary tumor here is one that has originated in the heart, and a secondary tumor is one that has migrated to the heart? Is a myxoma necessarily a cancerous heart tumor?

As to the last reference, "the first human primary cardiac tumor was reported by Columbus in 1559...". I thought Columbus discovered the Tropic of Cancer in 1492!

Tsunami,

A wealth of information. I am especially sorry for children affected by disease, thankfully in these cases a rare occurrence.
Me, too. I have such a HUGE respect for Pediatric health care workers. I did mobile CT at Children's hospital in Oakland for only six weeks before I was crying (literally) for a replacement.

Briefly, a primary tumor here is one that has originated in the heart, and a secondary tumor is one that has migrated to the heart? Correct. Is a myxoma necessarily a cancerous heart tumor?
No, in fact, they are generally benign (noncancerous). They are mostly just an overgrowth of connective tissue - usually in the upper chambers of the heart (rt. or lt. atrium). The only effective treatment, however, is surgical intervention. If allowed to continue to grow, it would eventually severely compromise the blood flow within the heart.

As to the last reference, "the first human primary cardiac tumor was reported by Columbus in 1559...". I thought Columbus discovered the Tropic of Cancer in 1492!

One must need skill and experience to read those images correctly.

One must need skill and experience to read those images correctly.
That's why God made Radiologists! :wink:

Is "radiologist" synonymous with "mutant"?

Is "radiologist" synonymous with "mutant"?
I've known a few that might fit that category...

Don't know if this was mentioned but there is something called primary cardiac lymphoma, a rare and malignant disease (similar to a non hodgkin's lymphoma) but arisng from the heart as a primary rather than secondary source.

Last edited:
Would that be from the endothelial/smooth muscle cells of the heartvessels, or is it the muscle cells from the heart itself? Do the heart muscle cells divide? That's why it must be so rare..

Do the heart muscle cells divide? That's why it must be so rare.
That's the crux of this thread, I believe.

Well, it amazes me that the single most used tissue of the body, under oxidative stress all the time, would not regenerate..

Do smooth muscle cells devote themselves to constant activity in lieu of enabling regeneration? What then allows the ontogeny of organs consisting of smooth muscle?

That's the crux of this thread, I believe.

Not sure about the primary cardiac lymphoma but the accepted paradigm considers the adult heart as a postmitotic organ, which possesses a relatively constant number of myocytes from shortly after birth to adulthood is now being questioned in the field of cardiology and physiology. Especially since we see cardiac remodeling and amazing recovery after large myocardial infarctions (mostly with the advent of adding ACE (angiotentsion converting enzyme) inhibitors to post MI patients are we seeing a lot of this) This notion is questioned by those who demonstrate that although most adult myocytes are terminally differentiated, there is a small and continuously renewed subpopulation of cycling myocytes produced by the differentiation of cardiac stem-like cells.

This postulated inability of the myocardium to form new myocytes starting in the early postnatal period has straightjacketed and limited cardiovascular research in conceptually significant ways.

There is more and more research that is upsetting or seriously questioning this old paradigm .

Last edited:
Do smooth muscle cells devote themselves to constant activity in lieu of enabling regeneration? What then allows the ontogeny of organs consisting of smooth muscle?
The heart is no made up of smooth muscle cells, but in the lining of vessels there are (not sure if that means the inner lining of the heart too).

Hi all,

Ok so cancer of the heart is quite rare but does anyone know why it it is more rare than cancer of other organs?

Thanks

Charles

1. What is heart cancer and how common is it?

Heart cancer, also known as cardiac cancer, is a rare type of cancer that involves the growth of abnormal cells in the heart. It can develop in the heart itself or spread from other parts of the body. According to the American Cancer Society, heart cancer accounts for less than 1% of all cancer cases, making it extremely rare.

2. What are the main risk factors for developing heart cancer?

The exact cause of heart cancer is unknown, but there are several factors that may increase a person's risk of developing it. These include a family history of heart cancer, exposure to radiation therapy, and certain genetic conditions such as Li-Fraumeni syndrome and neurofibromatosis.

3. What are the symptoms of heart cancer?

The symptoms of heart cancer may vary depending on the location and size of the tumor. Some common symptoms include difficulty breathing, chest pain, heart palpitations, and swelling in the legs. However, many people with heart cancer do not experience any symptoms until the cancer has reached an advanced stage.

4. How is heart cancer diagnosed?

Heart cancer is typically diagnosed through imaging tests such as X-rays, CT scans, and MRI scans. A biopsy may also be performed to confirm the presence of cancer cells. In some cases, heart cancer may be discovered during surgery for another heart condition.

5. What are the treatment options for heart cancer?

The treatment for heart cancer depends on the location and stage of the cancer, as well as the overall health of the patient. Treatment options may include surgery to remove the tumor, radiation therapy, chemotherapy, and targeted therapy. In some cases, a combination of these treatments may be used. However, due to the rarity of heart cancer, there is limited data on the most effective treatment methods.