Mirrors would fog up if i didnt turn the fan on

In summary, the mirrors fog up due to the difference in temperature between the hot water and the surrounding air, causing water vapor to condense on the mirror's surface. The fan helps prevent this by lowering the humidity in the bathroom and bringing in drier air from other areas of the house. The amount of cooling needed for the water vapor to turn back into liquid water, also known as the dew point, depends on the temperature and relative humidity.
nacho-man
Hi guys,
Recently i had noticed that when i left the hot water in the shower on for a while, the mirrors would fog up if i didnt turn the fan on, so what I am wondering is how is it that the fan can prevent the windows from fogging up, I am assuming the windows fog up because of water vapor but I'm not to sure.
Thanks,
Nacho

Science news on Phys.org

The mirrors fog up because they are below the temperature you have to cool water vapour to in order for it turn back into liquid water (called the dew point).
This depends on the temperature and the relativity humidty - at higher humidity you don't have to cool as much in order to get water forming.
The fan lowers the humidity by removing wet air and sucking in dry air from the rest of the house.

thanks mgb_phys

What causes mirrors to fog up?

Mirrors fog up due to condensation, which occurs when warm, moist air comes into contact with a cool surface.

Why do I need to turn on a fan to prevent fogging on a mirror?

Turning on a fan helps to circulate the air and reduce the humidity in a room, which prevents the warm, moist air from coming into contact with the cool surface of the mirror.

Can using a blow dryer prevent a mirror from fogging up?

Yes, using a blow dryer can help to evaporate the moisture on a mirror's surface, preventing it from fogging up. However, this is only a temporary solution and the mirror may fog up again once the warm, moist air returns to the room.

Does the temperature of the room affect the likelihood of a mirror fogging up?

Yes, the temperature of the room can affect the likelihood of a mirror fogging up. Warm, humid environments are more likely to cause condensation on a mirror's surface.

Are there any other methods to prevent a mirror from fogging up?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to prevent a mirror from fogging up. These include using a defogging spray, applying shaving cream or soap to the mirror, or using a dehumidifier in the room.