What career options are available for astronomers with a doctorate degree?

• Thread starter FluffyFriend
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Astronomer
In summary: This means that the competition for jobs in academia is very stiff, and many people with an astronomy Ph.D. end up in jobs outside of academia (such as computer programming, engineering, medical physics, or something else that has nothing to do with astronomy). There is always a need for an Astronomy professor at a community college, but the competition is stiff.
FluffyFriend
Just wondering. What would it be like if you obtained a doctorate in astronomy. What would be your option for the future? Remain in school as teaching staff? Find a position in a research institute? Get a job in an observatory? Or something else?

Can anyone please tell me a little (or a lot)? I can really use some real-life examples/experiences.

Fluffy

Physics news on Phys.org
Astronomers working in astronomy work for colleges and universities, national labs and observatories, and NASA. Many jobs expect you to do a post-doctoral research appointment for a few years after getting your PhD before they'll hire you. Getting a faculty job can be hard - that's what most people want to do, and there aren't as many open as there are people looking for one. Especially at the moment. So it really helps if you have a degree from a top school for your PhD.

Well I'm getting my PhD in physics, but my research topic is particle astrophysics. With an astronomy or astrophysics PhD, your options are basically the straight research route (post-doc followed by professorship), pubic service-ish jobs (working at a planetarium or something of that nature), or industry (usually computer programming, engineering, medical physics, or something else that has nothing to do with astronomy). It's easy to get an astrophysis postdoc, but as Eri said, getting a faculty job is hard. There's somewhere on the order of 50 faculty positions available nationwide every year, and hundreds of people competing for them. The public service/education type things are sort of fun, but not so lucrative. I know someone who got his astro PhD, and then became a middle school teacher. Sadly it doesn't pay well. Industry will pay well, but you don't get to do any science.

One random note. When you get a job at an observatory, you're still usually working for a university or national lab, so this sort of job will effectively be a post-doc.

FluffyFriend said:
Just wondering. What would it be like if you obtained a doctorate in astronomy. What would be your option for the future? Remain in school as teaching staff? Find a position in a research institute? Get a job in an observatory? Or something else?

The standard advice that I give is not to expect to become a tenured faculty professor, since those jobs are rather uncommon. People with astronomy doctorates ends up doing a lot of different things.

In my case I became a computer programmer, and I'm currently working writing computer simulations for a large investment bank on Wall Street, and it turns out that there are dozens of physics Ph.D.'s on staff. The curious thing is that I'm doing more or less the same work that I did in graduate school because the simulations that large investment banks use to do derivatives calculations happen to use exactly the same mathematics as those used to simulate particle interactions and radiation hydrodynamics in astrophysics.

twofish-quant said:
The standard advice that I give is not to expect to become a tenured faculty professor, since those jobs are rather uncommon. People with astronomy doctorates ends up doing a lot of different things.

In my case I became a computer programmer, and I'm currently working writing computer simulations for a large investment bank on Wall Street, and it turns out that there are dozens of physics Ph.D.'s on staff. The curious thing is that I'm doing more or less the same work that I did in graduate school because the simulations that large investment banks use to do derivatives calculations happen to use exactly the same mathematics as those used to simulate particle interactions and radiation hydrodynamics in astrophysics.

We still haven't moved on from Einstein in fundamental physics, and the world is in the biggest recession since the wall street crash. Keep up the good work guys :)

How competitive would a quant job be with an astronomy Ph.D?

I don't know this for a fact, but if you don't mind teaching at a community college (or several of them when you first start out), I am sure there is always a need for an Astronomy professor.

Astronomy at the CC level is a very popular subject, with a lot of non-science majors choosing to take this class to fill up phys science G.E. requirements over the traditional chem and physics options.

1. What is the job outlook for astronomers?

The job outlook for astronomers is positive. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment for astronomers is projected to grow 5% from 2019 to 2029, which is faster than the average for all occupations.

2. What qualifications are needed to become an astronomer?

To become an astronomer, you typically need a PhD in astronomy, physics, or a related field. You also need strong mathematical and analytical skills, as well as experience with computer programming and data analysis.

3. What type of work do astronomers do?

Astronomers study the universe and its components, such as planets, stars, galaxies, and other celestial objects. They use telescopes, satellites, and other instruments to collect and analyze data, and they often collaborate with other scientists to conduct research and share findings.

4. How much do astronomers earn?

The median annual wage for astronomers was $114,590 in May 2020. However, salaries can vary depending on factors such as experience, employer, and location. Astronomers working in the federal government tend to earn higher salaries compared to those in academia or private industry.

5. What are some challenges astronomers face?

One of the main challenges astronomers face is securing funding for their research, as it often requires expensive equipment and resources. Additionally, the work can be highly competitive, and obtaining tenure or securing permanent positions in academia can be difficult. Another challenge is the constant need to adapt to new technology and techniques as the field of astronomy continues to evolve.