How do constraints affect the degree of freedom in particle motion?

In summary, the concept of degree of freedom in a system of N particles states that there are 3N degrees of freedom initially, which can be reduced by constraints on their motion. However, not all constraints necessarily reduce the degree of freedom, as seen in the example of 2 particles confined in the first quadrant of the XY plane. In this case, the particles still have 2 degrees of freedom because x and y are not related to each other. Similarly, if 2 particles are confined in a cylinder, there can be either 4 or 5 degrees of freedom depending on the constraints placed on their movement.
dhruv.tara
NOTE: This is not a homework problem. So don't move it.

I was reading about degree of freedom and came to know that in general for N particles there are 3N degree of freedom that reduces when we put some constraints on their motion. E.g. For 2 particles confined in XY plane they have only 2 degree of freedom.

But I have a doubt that my source said that not all constraints reduces the degree of freedom, e.g. in the previous case even if I say that the particle lies in only first quadrant of XY plane then too I get 2 degree of freedom. I am not convinced, shouldn't we just have 1 degree of freedom in such a case? (Z=0 and since X and Y are related such that X>0, Y>0)?

Also going on similar basis if I say that I have 2 particles that are confined in a cylinder of radius r and height h then how many degree of freedoms do I have? Do I have 4 degree of freedom or 5?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Also going on similar basis if I say that I have 2 particles that are confined in a cylinder of radius r and height h then how many degree of freedoms do I have? Do I have 4 degree of freedom or 5?

Because x and y are related it counts as 1 DOF per particle (unless the particles are somehow related). Or if you like we could say that the particles each move in a angular direction(theta, phi, etc. And of course 1 DOF per particle for moving up and down on the cylinder.

But I have a doubt that my source said that not all constraints reduces the degree of freedom, e.g. in the previous case even if I say that the particle lies in only first quadrant of XY plane then too I get 2 degree of freedom. I am not convinced, shouldn't we just have 1 degree of freedom in such a case? (Z=0 and since X and Y are related such that X>0, Y>0)?

There may be constraints but as I understand it that since x and y are not related to each other the DOF do not reduce since we still have both x movement and y, movement independently.

1. What is degree of freedom in physics?

Degree of freedom in physics refers to the number of independent parameters or variables that are required to describe the state of a physical system. It is a measure of the complexity of a system, and it determines the number of ways in which a system can move or change.

2. How is degree of freedom calculated?

The degree of freedom can be calculated by subtracting the number of constraints from the total number of parameters. Constraints refer to any restrictions or limitations on the motion or behavior of a system.

3. Why is degree of freedom important in physics?

Degree of freedom is important in physics because it helps us understand the behavior and motion of physical systems. It allows us to predict how a system will evolve over time and how it will respond to different forces and interactions.

4. How does degree of freedom relate to entropy?

In thermodynamics, degree of freedom is directly related to entropy, which is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system. A system with a higher degree of freedom has more possible states and therefore, a higher entropy.

5. Can a system have negative degrees of freedom?

No, a system cannot have negative degrees of freedom. The degree of freedom is always a positive integer, and it represents the minimum number of coordinates or variables needed to describe a system. Negative degrees of freedom would imply that the system has more constraints than parameters, which is not possible.