Degrees of freedom in a molecule

In summary: There are 3n-6 (3n-5) different vibrational modes in a molecule of n atoms. Each mode has an average energy of kT.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
Relevant Equations
1606475247798.png

I am not understand the solution of the letter b and c given by the author.
1606475311576.png

Since Cv = NfK/2, we have Cv/N = fK/2. Now, the degree of freedom of a N linear molecule is 3(trans) + 2(rot) + x, where x is the degree of freedom due the vibrational motion. I am having trouble to calc x, could you help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Herculi said:
Homework Statement:: .
Relevant Equations:: .

View attachment 273247
I am not understand the solution of the letter b and c given by the author.

Since Cv = NfK/2, we have Cv/N = fK/2. Now, the degree of freedom of a N linear molecule is 3(trans) + 2(rot) + x, where x is the degree of freedom due the vibrational motion. I am having trouble to calc x, could you help me?
What kind of energies belong to a single vibration?

ehild said:
What kind of energies belong to a single vibration?
The kinetic energy due to the vibration and the potential stored (as in kx²/2)

Herculi said:
The kinetic energy due to the vibration and the potential stored (as in kx²/2)
Good! A two-atomic molecle has a single vibrational mode. When performig that motion, the molecule has both kinetic and potential energy. If you want to specify thevibrational state of the molecule, you have to give both the velocity and the phase of the vibrationThese are two degrees of freedom for each vibrational mode.
How many vibration modes has an N-atomic molecule?

ehild said:
Good! A two-atomic molecle has a single vibrational mode. When performig that motion, the molecule has both kinetic and potential energy. If you want to specify thevibrational state of the molecule, you have to give both the velocity and the phase of the vibrationThese are two degrees of freedom for each vibrational mode.
How many vibration modes has an N-atomic molecule?
"A two-atomic molecle has a single vibrational mode. " That's what i don't understand, two particles connected by a spring, as a model for a molecule, do not have two degree of freedom? So two vibrational mode which gives us 4 types of energy? The kinect and energy stored in one mode and in another mode.

Herculi said:
"A two-atomic molecle has a single vibrational mode. " That's what i don't understand, two particles connected by a spring, as a model for a molecule, do not have two degree of freedom? So two vibrational mode which gives us 4 types of energy? The kinect and energy stored in one mode and in another mode.
Two particles conneted by a spring corresponds to a single oscillator, a single vibrational mode, but it has two degrees of vibrational freedom,.
A molecule of N atoms can perform 3N independent motions. From these , 3 are translations of the whole molecule: and 3 are rotations of the whole molecule. When the molecule is linear, it performs 2 indepemdent rotations. The other 3N-6 (3N-5) motions are vibrations. A translating or rotating molecule has only kinetic energy, 1/2 kT for each degree of freedom. Each of the 3N-6 (3N-5) vibrational modes have kT average energy.
Both atoms iof a two-wtomic molecule can move in the x, y, z directionsthat makes 6 different motions. From these, 3 motions are the same for both atoms,they are translations The moleculée can also rotate about two perpendicular axes . The translating or rotating molecule is rigid, it does not change shape. And there is a single motion, when the atoms move relative to each other: it is vibration.

Last edited:

What is the concept of degrees of freedom in a molecule?

Degrees of freedom in a molecule refers to the number of ways a molecule can move and vibrate in space without changing its overall energy or structure. It is a measure of the molecule's flexibility and is influenced by the number of atoms and types of bonds present.

How is the number of degrees of freedom in a molecule determined?

The number of degrees of freedom in a molecule can be determined using the formula 3N-6, where N is the total number of atoms in the molecule. This formula is based on the assumption that the molecule is in a gaseous state and does not take into account any constraints or interactions between atoms.

What is the significance of degrees of freedom in chemical reactions?

Degrees of freedom play a crucial role in determining the energy and stability of a molecule, which in turn affects its reactivity in chemical reactions. Molecules with higher degrees of freedom are more likely to undergo reactions as they have more ways to rearrange their atoms and release energy.

Can the degrees of freedom in a molecule be changed?

Yes, the degrees of freedom in a molecule can be changed by altering its structure or environment. For example, adding or removing atoms, changing the types of bonds, or applying external forces can all affect the molecule's degrees of freedom.

How do degrees of freedom relate to the concept of entropy?

Degrees of freedom and entropy are closely related concepts in thermodynamics. As the number of degrees of freedom in a molecule increases, so does its entropy, or disorder. This is because molecules with more degrees of freedom have more ways to distribute their energy and exhibit a higher level of disorder.