Having trouble understanding reduction of NADP+

• Thread starter 1MileCrash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reduction
In summary, NADP+ is reduced to NADPH by receiving an electron, resulting in a neutrally charged molecule. This process does not involve the acceptance of an H+ ion, but rather an H- ion. It is important to review earlier chapters and understand the formulae involved in biochemical reactions, such as NADP+ and NADPH. Animations, like the one provided, can also aid in understanding these processes.
1MileCrash
"Photosystem I transfers electrons to NADP+, reducing it to NADPH."

This is mentioned many times in my textbook, in other examples besides photosynthesis. NADP+ reduced into NADPH.

I agree that receiving an electron is a reduction. But how does receiving electrons turn NADP+ to NADPH? That looks to me like it received a proton judging by chemical makeup..but how can NADP+ with a positive charge accept a H+ ion and then be neutral?

So its receiving electrons and being reduced, so how does that equal NADPH?

It's just not making much sense to me, and I'm not the "accept it and keep reading" type, I want to understand everything.

EDIT: So I did some thinking...

I totally get that NADP+ receiving an electron results in a neutrally charged molecule. I also was previously under the misconception that NADPH contained "one more hydrogen" than NADP+, which I'm starting to get simply isn't the case. NADP+ and NADPH have the same number of protons, but NADPH has one more electron. And this results in us naming it with another H? The addition of an electron? Is this a common practice in chemistry?

Biology news on Phys.org
1MileCrash said:
I agree that receiving an electron is a reduction. But how does receiving electrons turn NADP+ to NADPH? That looks to me like it received a proton judging by chemical makeup..but how can NADP+ with a positive charge accept a H+ ion and then be neutral?

It does not accept H+ - formally speaking you can think of it as accepting an H-. In other paragraphs you seem to half know that.

What it sounds like is happening is you are reading more advanced chapters and have forgotten earlier ones. Students often make mistake of not looking back at more elementary chapters or books because they fear a feeling of slipping back! At least I know I did. Instead it is quite strengthening to do that when necessary.

The textbooks assume you already know - and you can understand they do not want to draw out the formulae for NADP+, NADPH every time they are involved in a reaction, which is very often. They do the same for quite a number of compounds, nucleotides, flavins, thiols/disulphides, folates,... you may have noticed.

So don't stay stuck with the acronyms, but look back to the formulae! You might have to revise what is a quaternary ammonium compound too, and look up pyridine and N-pyridyl.

Last edited:
I highly recommend looking at this.
http://www.johnkyrk.com/photosynthesis.html

PS: Click on the small orange arrow on the bottom left to go ahead in the link. Animation's always better than plain old text.

Last edited:

Related to Having trouble understanding reduction of NADP+

What is NADP+ and why is it important?

NADP+ (nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide phosphate) is a coenzyme that plays a crucial role in cellular metabolism. It is involved in various biochemical reactions such as photosynthesis and cellular respiration, and is essential for the production of energy in cells.

What is the reduction of NADP+ and why is it important?

The reduction of NADP+ refers to the process of adding electrons to NADP+ to form NADPH (nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide phosphate). This process is important because NADPH is a key component in many biochemical reactions, such as the synthesis of fatty acids and the production of ATP (adenosine triphosphate).

What are the steps involved in the reduction of NADP+?

The reduction of NADP+ involves two key steps: the transfer of electrons from a donor molecule to NADP+, and the addition of a proton (H+) to NADP+ to form NADPH. This process is facilitated by enzymes known as reductases.

What factors can affect the reduction of NADP+?

The reduction of NADP+ can be affected by a variety of factors, such as the availability of NADP+ and its associated enzymes, the concentration of electron donors, and the presence of inhibitors or activators that may affect the activity of reductases.

How is the reduction of NADP+ related to photosynthesis?

The reduction of NADP+ is a crucial step in the light-dependent reactions of photosynthesis. During this process, light energy is used to transfer electrons from water to NADP+, forming NADPH. This NADPH is then used in the light-independent reactions of photosynthesis to produce glucose and other organic molecules.