Rectenna Engineering? Microwave power? Is this possible?

In summary, microwaves can be used to power devices, but it's dangerous and requires special design considerations.
StillDumb
I want to power a device using microwaves. The microwave emitter will be about 1 meter away. I want the rectenna to be about a square meter in area and planar (not a dish). The rectenna will need to pass on about a kW of power.

Is this possible? How do I design a rectenna like that? How much would it cost? I know nothing about this, so thanks in advance if you can point me into to the right direction.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
StillDumb said:
I want to power a device using microwaves. The microwave emitter will be about 1 meter away. I want the rectenna to be about a square meter in area and planar (not a dish). The rectenna will need to pass on about a kW of power.

Is this possible? How do I design a rectenna like that? How much would it cost? I know nothing about this, so thanks in advance if you can point me into to the right direction.

Thanks!

Lordy son, what in the world are you up to? You do understand that what you are asking about is dangerous and illegal on the surface of it, right? What is the safe and legal application that you have in mind?

Hey thanks for the reply

I'm not going to do anything dangerous haha. I'm just wondering if it's possible to design a rectenna the way I want it. Do you know anything about rectennas?

Yep. But you did not answer my questions. What is the context of your posted question?

Lordy man
why are you being so difficult?

I answered your questions. You asked me what my application was, and I answered that I wasn't going to do anything dangerous. I just wanted to know if it was possible, how much it would cost, and how such a rectenna must be designed. The context is that it would be to power a device, but I'm not actually going to do it. I just want to know what's involved.

Can you help me or not?

StillDumb said:
Lordy man
why are you being so difficult?

I answered your questions. You asked me what my application was, and I answered that I wasn't going to do anything dangerous. I just wanted to know if it was possible, how much it would cost, and how such a rectenna must be designed. The context is that it would be to power a device, but I'm not actually going to do it. I just want to know what's involved.

Can you help me or not?

No sorry. Too dangerous on the face of it. Thread locked.

1. What is rectenna engineering?

Rectenna engineering is a field of research and development that focuses on the design and optimization of rectifying antennas, also known as rectennas. These devices are used to convert microwave energy into usable electrical power.

2. How do rectennas work?

Rectennas work by using a combination of antennas and diodes to capture incoming microwave energy and convert it into direct current (DC) electricity. The antenna captures the microwave radiation and converts it into an alternating current (AC) signal. The diode then rectifies the AC signal, converting it into DC electricity that can be used to power devices.

3. What is the potential for microwave power transmission using rectennas?

The potential for microwave power transmission using rectennas is still being studied and researched. While the concept of wireless power transmission has been around for decades, it is still in its early stages of development and faces challenges such as efficiency and safety concerns.

4. Is microwave power transmission using rectennas possible?

Yes, microwave power transmission using rectennas is possible. There have been successful demonstrations of this technology, but further research and development are needed to make it a viable and safe option for widespread use.

5. What are the potential applications of rectenna engineering?

The potential applications of rectenna engineering include wireless charging of electronic devices, powering remote sensors and devices, and potentially even transmitting power to space-based systems. It could also have applications in renewable energy, such as harvesting solar energy and converting it into electricity using rectennas.