High Volts Low Amps: Sustaining Power with Arduino & MOSFET

• Thread starter EagleOnePro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Amps Volts
In summary, the person wants to create a device that can generate high voltages with low amps, and may be able to do so with a silicon carbide MOSFET. They want to be able to modulate the voltage to create precise pauses.
EagleOnePro
TL;DR Summary
How do I get sustained high volts with low amps?
Hello, I have a limited knowledge of electronic engineering, so please bear with me. I want to Have a device that I could have high volts with low amps and have the power be sustained. Then I could possibly use an Arduino with a silicon carbide MOSFET to do precise pause with modulation. The only things that I can think of that would make high volts would be a Van De Graaff Generator or a taser. Could you help me to know how to get sustained high volts around 2000 with "safe" ish amps? Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
EagleOnePro said:
Could you help me to know how to get sustained high volts around 2000 with "safe" ish amps?
Why do you need high voltage?
Do you need AC or DC?

The power will not be great before it becomes dangerous.
For example, 1 mA at 2 kV will be 2 watts, and can kill you.

Likes Windadct and berkeman
EagleOnePro said:
Summary:: How do I get sustained high volts with low amps?

Hello, I have a limited knowledge of electronic engineering, so please bear with me. I want to Have a device that I could have high volts with low amps and have the power be sustained. Then I could possibly use an Arduino with a silicon carbide MOSFET to do precise pause with modulation. The only things that I can think of that would make high volts would be a Van De Graaff Generator or a taser. Could you help me to know how to get sustained high volts around 2000 with "safe" ish amps? Thank you!
Please provide a lot more details about the application and your circuit design experience so far. Do you have a local mentor that is helping you with this project, or are you just relying on the Internet for help?

We don't allow unsafe discussion threads on PF, and the bolded parts of your post above are a bit troubling...

EagleOnePro said:
Summary:: How do I get sustained high volts with low amps?

I want to Have a device that I could have high volts with low amps and have the power be sustained.
This is something you do after you have a good knowledge of Electrical Engineering. Put it on your "to do later" list, and live long enough to get there.

Likes berkeman, phinds, DaveE and 1 other person
Well its good that I got on this forum then. Thanks for saving my life guys! I'm going to go back to the drawing board. Thank you!

Likes sophiecentaur and hutchphd
EagleOnePro said:
I'm going to go back to the drawing board. Thank you!
Maybe it would be more productive if you explained what you want to achieve.
We may know of a safe and practical low-cost solution.

Likes hutchphd
For completeness did you mean pulse width modulation (PWM)? This article provides some background info.

EagleOnePro said:
Well its good that I got on this forum then. Thanks for saving my life guys! I'm going to go back to the drawing board. Thank you!
@EagleOnePro -- When you are ready to discuss your applictation so that we can try to help you approach it more safely, please send me a Private Message -- Click my avatar and "Start a Conversation"). Until then, this thread will remain closed.

Likes EagleOnePro

1. What is the purpose of using MOSFET in Arduino projects?

MOSFET (Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor Field-Effect Transistor) is used in Arduino projects to control high voltage and high current loads, which cannot be directly controlled by the microcontroller. It acts as a switch, allowing the microcontroller to turn on and off devices that require more power than it can provide.

2. How does MOSFET help in sustaining power in Arduino projects?

MOSFET helps in sustaining power in Arduino projects by acting as a buffer between the microcontroller and the high power devices. It can handle high voltage and high current loads, which reduces the strain on the microcontroller and prevents it from getting damaged.

3. Can I use any MOSFET in my Arduino project?

No, not all MOSFETs are suitable for use in Arduino projects. It is important to choose a MOSFET with the appropriate voltage and current ratings for your project. It is also recommended to use MOSFETs with logic level gates, which can be easily controlled by the microcontroller.

4. How can I calculate the appropriate resistor value for my MOSFET circuit?

The resistor value for a MOSFET circuit can be calculated using Ohm's law (R = V/I). The value of the resistor should be chosen so that the gate voltage of the MOSFET is within the recommended range (usually 5V) to ensure proper switching. It is also important to consider the power rating of the resistor to avoid overheating.

5. Are there any precautions I should take when using MOSFET in my Arduino project?

Yes, there are a few precautions to keep in mind when using MOSFETs in Arduino projects. It is important to use a heat sink if the MOSFET will be handling high currents. It is also recommended to use a flyback diode to protect the MOSFET from voltage spikes. Additionally, proper insulation and safety measures should be taken when working with high voltage circuits.