What do I need to create FORTRAN programs?

In summary,-An aerospace engineering student is trying to figure out how to use a FORTRAN compiler on their personal computer-There are various FORTRAN compilers and debuggers available, but the student has trouble finding a free or low-cost option-The student can use the G95 FORTRAN compiler and debugger, as well as the Windows-like environment cygwin, or they can buy a more expensive editor like Simply Fortran.
rhimmelblau
So I am an Aerospace engineering student and we are learning FORTRAN right now (you can all thank Boeing for that). I had gotten used to writing in Visual studio with the nice visual debugger and compiler. Unfortunately I can't seem to find a student version of the FORTRAN debugger for VS, so I am wondering where can I find a preferably free or low cost FORTRAN compiler and debugger that I can create my codes in on my personal computer. I have the G95 FORTRAN compiler that a friend gave me, but nothing to write the codes into feed it.

Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
Hi rhimmelblau -

Editors: Purely Windows: Notepad++ or UltraEdit, one free, the other cheap.

Install cygwin on your PC. FORTRAN is free as part of the gcc suite, as is gdb (debugger).
This creates a Linux environment (UNIX) , which you will have to deal with later on anyway, assuming you continue your current career path. There are various IDE's for cygwin for FORTRAN, so if you care to learn one them, you do not need an editor like Notepad++. This assumes you install one of the windows-like desktops, for example, Gnome.

http://www.cygwin.com/

If you already have g95, all you need now is a nice syntax highlighting editor, like Notepad++, as mentioned before.

I don't think you need cygwin for g95; but it is a nice unix-like environment...then again, you can also download all those command-line utilities for windows...but I think this might already too much for you...it sounds like, presently, you are just a very Windows-oriented kind of guy...nevertheless, for working with fortran program, I recommend you reconnect with your DOS terminal...that's where you will do something like:
c:\>g95 -o myprogram myprogram.f90
c:\>myprogram < inputfile > outputfile
c:\> etc, etc, etc

Also, for $25 buck, you may instead get a copy of Simply Fortran...if you prefer GUI's and IDEs.

1. What is FORTRAN and why should I learn it?

FORTRAN (short for Formula Translation) is a high-level programming language used for scientific and mathematical computing. It was one of the first programming languages developed and is still widely used in fields such as engineering, physics, and weather forecasting. Learning FORTRAN can greatly enhance your ability to write efficient and reliable code for these types of applications.

2. Do I need any special tools or equipment to create FORTRAN programs?

To create FORTRAN programs, you will need a text editor such as Notepad or Sublime Text, and a FORTRAN compiler. Many compilers are available for free online, such as GNU Fortran, which is part of the GNU Compiler Collection. You may also want to use a programming environment, such as Eclipse or Visual Studio, which provide helpful features like code completion and debugging tools.

3. Is FORTRAN difficult to learn?

FORTRAN is a relatively easy language to learn, especially for those with prior programming experience. Its simple syntax and powerful mathematical capabilities make it a popular choice for scientific computing. However, like any programming language, it does require practice and dedication to become proficient.

4. Can I create graphical user interfaces (GUIs) with FORTRAN?

While FORTRAN is primarily used for scientific and mathematical calculations, it is possible to create GUIs with this language using libraries such as Fortran GUI. However, if you are looking to create complex and visually appealing interfaces, you may want to consider using a different language such as Python or Java.

5. Are there any resources available to help me learn and create FORTRAN programs?

Yes, there are many resources available to help you learn and create FORTRAN programs. These include online tutorials, books, and forums where you can ask questions and get assistance from experienced FORTRAN programmers. Additionally, many universities and colleges offer courses in FORTRAN programming for students interested in scientific and mathematical fields.