Confusion about combining resistors in series.

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion of when to combine resistors in series and parallel in a circuit. It is clarified that resistors are considered in series if they share the same current and in parallel if they have the same voltage across them. It is also mentioned that you can combine all the resistors to find the current, but if you want to find the voltage across a specific resistor, it must be kept separate. This is demonstrated through a potential divider circuit example.
dragonkore
Hello, everybody.

I'm reading through my EE textbook and I'm having some confusion about when to combine resistors in series. The following figure is in my book:

obFz5.png

I see that they combine the parallel resistors of 6Ω and 3Ω to make the equivalent circuit shown in 2.42b. What I'm confused about is why they didn't then combine the 4Ω and 2Ω resistors. They do this throughout the entire chapter's examples and it's causing me confusion. Resistors are considered in series if they share the same current, correct? And the two resistors in 2.42b appear to share the same current, so I don't see why they don't combine them.

Thanks for reading.

(I apologize if this is considered homework help. It seems to be more of a general circuit question.)

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you only wanted to get the current from the battery, you would combine all the resistors.

However, if you wanted to get the voltage across the parallel comination, then you would have to keep that resistance separate so that you could calculate the voltage.

In fact you could do both. The combined resistance is 6 ohms (4 ohms + 2 ohms) so the current is 2 amps (12 volts / 6 ohms).

So the voltage across (a) - (b) is 4 volts. (V = i * R = 2amps * 2 ohms = 4 volts)

The volts across ab will be 2/(4+2) of the total volts. It's a 'simple' potential divider, once you have manged to combine the 6 and 3 Ohm resistors correctly (which you have). The potential divider is one of those basic circuit elements that 'everyone' should get familiar with.

So you can combine all of the resistors to find the current through the circuit, but you have to leave them separated if you want to find v0. That makes sense; thanks to the both of you.

Hello,

Thank you for bringing up this confusion. It is important to understand the concept of resistors in series and parallel in order to accurately analyze circuits.

In this specific circuit, the 6Ω and 3Ω resistors are in parallel because they share the same two nodes and have the same voltage drop across them. When resistors are in parallel, the total resistance is calculated using the formula 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2. In this case, the equivalent resistance is 2Ω.

Now, the 4Ω and 2Ω resistors are in series because they are connected one after the other and have the same current flowing through them. When resistors are in series, the total resistance is simply the sum of the individual resistances. In this case, the equivalent resistance is 6Ω.

Combining these two equivalent resistances gives us the final equivalent resistance of 8Ω. So, in this case, the resistors are not combined because they are already in their respective equivalent forms.

I hope this helps clarify your confusion. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask. It is always important to fully understand the concepts in order to accurately analyze and design circuits.

Best,

Related to Confusion about combining resistors in series.

1. How do I combine resistors in series?

To combine resistors in series, you simply connect them end-to-end so that the current flows through one resistor and then through the other. The total resistance of the circuit is the sum of the individual resistances.

2. What is the equation for calculating total resistance in a series circuit?

The equation for calculating total resistance in a series circuit is R = R1 + R2 + R3 + ..., where R is the total resistance and R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances in the circuit.

3. Can I combine more than two resistors in series?

Yes, you can combine any number of resistors in series. The total resistance will simply be the sum of all the individual resistances in the circuit.

4. Does combining resistors in series affect the current in the circuit?

Yes, combining resistors in series will decrease the current in the circuit. This is because the total resistance increases, which in turn decreases the current according to Ohm's law (I = V/R).

5. What happens if one resistor in a series circuit breaks or is removed?

If one resistor in a series circuit breaks or is removed, the circuit will be open and the current will stop flowing. This is because there is now an infinite resistance in the circuit, and according to Ohm's law, the current will be 0 (I = V/R).