What Materials and Calculations Are Best for Building a Micro Motor?

In summary: Materials:The materials you'll need for this project will depend on the size and power of the motor you want to build. For a 1/2" motor, you'll need a coil of wire, a magnet, some electrical tape, and a small piece of plastic.To make the coil, you'll need to wind the wire around the magnet a few times. Make sure the wire is tight against the magnet so the coil is strong. Then, cover the coil with electrical tape.To power the motor, you'll need to connect the coil to an electrical outlet. Then, use the calculator on the website to determine the amperage you'll need to supply to the coil. This will tell you
ugsquish
Ok, I want to start by saying I have been out of this field for some time and I have regrettably lost a lot of my knowledge. So I may require a little patients, but here it goes.
I am wanting to construct a micro motor. I was trying to decide on what materials to make the internal electromagnets from for max capability.
I want the motor to be no more then 1/2" in height & 1.5-2" diameter. what materials should i use and what calculations should i use to calculate amperage input to lb output of the motor.
i realize it may be asking a lot but I hope you all can help :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
there are plenty of examples of small motors like that
any hobby shop sells them ... buy one ... pull it apart and find out how they do it and see if you have the capability to reproduce that.
I suggest it will be very difficult for some one to do at home

Dave

Thank you for your reply. I will look into your sugjestion.

ugsquish said:
Ok, I want to start by saying I have been out of this field for some time and I have regrettably lost a lot of my knowledge. So I may require a little patients, but here it goes.
I am wanting to construct a micro motor. I was trying to decide on what materials to make the internal electromagnets from for max capability.
I want the motor to be no more then 1/2" in height & 1.5-2" diameter. what materials should i use and what calculations should i use to calculate amperage input to lb output of the motor.
i realize it may be asking a lot but I hope you all can help :)

Time was when people used to home-build a lot of electrical items. These days, small items are so well designed and perform so well (often for pennies) that it's just not worth trying to do what hi tech assembly can do easily. Tiny motors are fantastic these days. Don't try to compete - but there's everything to be said for trying to make a motor that 'actually works' from simple materials. Then buy one for your application!

Hello, thank you for reaching out. It's great that you are interested in constructing a micro motor and I am happy to assist you with your questions.

To determine the best materials for your internal electromagnets, you will need to consider several factors such as the strength of the magnetic field, the size and shape of the magnets, and the power consumption. Some common materials used for electromagnets include iron, steel, and certain types of alloys. These materials have high magnetic permeability, which means they can be easily magnetized and demagnetized.

To calculate the amperage input and lb output of the motor, you will need to use the following equations:

1. Ampere's Law: This law states that the magnetic field created by an electric current is directly proportional to the current and the number of turns in the coil. The equation is B = μ0 * N * I, where B is the magnetic field, μ0 is the permeability of free space, N is the number of turns in the coil, and I is the current.

2. Force on a current-carrying conductor in a magnetic field: This equation helps determine the force exerted on a conductor placed in a magnetic field. The equation is F = B * I * l, where F is the force, B is the magnetic field, I is the current, and l is the length of the conductor.

3. Torque on a current loop in a magnetic field: This equation is used to calculate the torque on a current-carrying loop placed in a magnetic field. The equation is τ = B * I * A * sinθ, where τ is the torque, B is the magnetic field, I is the current, A is the area of the loop, and θ is the angle between the magnetic field and the normal to the loop.

Using these equations, you can calculate the required current and magnetic field strength for your micro motor. Additionally, you can also consider using permanent magnets in combination with the electromagnets to increase the overall strength and efficiency of the motor.

I hope this information helps you in your project. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Best of luck with your micro motor construction!

FAQ: What Materials and Calculations Are Best for Building a Micro Motor?

1. How do you calculate the electromagnetic force between two charged particles?

According to Coulomb's law, the electromagnetic force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This can be calculated using the formula F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where F is the force, k is the Coulomb constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the particles, and r is the distance between them.

2. What is the difference between electric and magnetic fields?

Electric fields are created by stationary charges, while magnetic fields are created by moving charges. Electric fields exert forces on other charges, while magnetic fields only exert forces on moving charges. Additionally, electric fields are affected by the presence of conductive materials, while magnetic fields are not.

3. How do you calculate the strength of an electromagnetic wave?

The strength of an electromagnetic wave, also known as its intensity, can be calculated by multiplying the electric and magnetic field strengths at a particular point. It is also proportional to the square of the amplitude of the wave.

4. What is the difference between AC and DC electromagnetic fields?

AC (alternating current) electromagnetic fields vary in strength and direction over time, while DC (direct current) electromagnetic fields remain constant. AC fields are typically used for power transmission, while DC fields are used in smaller electronic devices.

5. What are some common applications of electromagnetic calculations?

Electromagnetic calculations are used in a variety of fields, including electrical engineering, telecommunications, and physics. Some common applications include designing and optimizing electric motors, analyzing the performance of antennas, and studying the behavior of particles in particle accelerators.