Number of images formed by 3 mutually perpendicular plane mirrors

In summary, the conversation discusses the number of images an observer sees in a room with mirror surfaces, the nature and position of an image formed by a convergent beam of light on a convex mirror, and the distance of an object from a convex mirror based on its focal length and magnification. The summary also mentions the potential for additional images at the corner of the three planes in the room, but further investigation or ray tracing may be necessary to determine if this is a real image.
Amith2006
Sir/Madam,
1)The 2 adjacent walls and the ceiling of a rectangular room are mirror surfaced.What is the number of images of himself does an observer sees?
If it was the case of 2 mirrors I know it is 3. But here there are 3 mirrors which are mutually perpendicular. But if we take 2 mirrors at a time then the total number of images is 9. What do you say Sir/Madam?
2)A convergent beam of light is incident on a convex mirror of radius of curvature 60 cm as shown in figure. What is the nature and position of the image formed by it?
I solved it in the following way:
Let u, v and f be the object distance, image distance and focal length of the convex mirror respectively.
Here u = + 10 cm, f = +30 cm
1/u + 1/v = 1/f
v = (uf)/(u-f)
= (10 x 30)/(10 – 30)
= -15 cm
Hence the image formed is virtual and 15 cm in front of the mirror. Is it right?
3)A convex mirror of focal length f produces an image (1/n)th of the size of the object. What is the distance of the object from the mirror?
I solved it in the following way:
Magnification = 1/n = -(v/u)
i.e. v = -(u/n)
1/u + 1/v = 1/f
1/u – (n/u) = 1/f
By solving I get,
u = (1-n)f
Are my sign conventions right? Sometimes the diagram may not be clear. So I will try to describe the diagram. A convergent beam of light serves as a virtual object which appears to converge at a distance of 10 cm behind the mirror.

Attachments

• Opt 2.GIF
    Opt 2.GIF
    1.4 KB · Views: 790
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
On question -1-, I would guess that you get one additional image at the corner of the 3 planes. Since it is a cube corner, you should get a reflection from it back to you in the middle of the room. I don't know if it's a real image, though. Have to try it or else do some ray tracing sketching to figure that out. So you'd get the 3 reflections from the planes, the 2 reflections from the 2 edges, and the 1 from the corner. Is a total of 6 the correct answer for question -1-?

1) Based on the information provided, it seems that the observer would see a total of 9 images of themselves. This can be calculated by taking into account the reflections from each of the three mirrors. Each mirror will produce 3 images, resulting in a total of 9 images.

2) Your calculations for the nature and position of the image formed by the convex mirror seem correct. It is a virtual image located 15 cm in front of the mirror. However, it is always important to double check your calculations and consider any potential sources of error.

3) Your sign conventions seem correct based on the information provided. However, it is always best to double check your calculations and make sure they are consistent with the diagram provided. Additionally, it is important to consider the direction of the light rays and their reflections when solving problems involving mirrors.

1. How many images are formed when three plane mirrors intersect at right angles?

The number of images formed by three mutually perpendicular plane mirrors is 8.

2. What determines the number of images formed by three plane mirrors?

The number of images formed by three plane mirrors is determined by the number of reflections that occur. In this case, each mirror will produce two reflections, resulting in a total of 8 images.

3. Can there be more than 8 images formed by three plane mirrors?

No, there cannot be more than 8 images formed by three plane mirrors. This is because each reflection produces a pair of mirrored images, and with three mirrors, there can only be a total of 8 images.

4. What is the angle between each of the images formed by three plane mirrors?

The angle between each of the images formed by three plane mirrors is 45 degrees. This is because the mirrors intersect at right angles, creating 90 degree angles between each mirror and its adjacent mirror. Therefore, the angle between each image is half of 90 degrees, which is 45 degrees.

5. How can the number of images formed by three plane mirrors be calculated?

The number of images formed by three plane mirrors can be calculated using the formula n = (2n+1)^2, where n is the number of mirrors. In this case, with three mirrors, the formula becomes n = (2x3+1)^2 = (7)^2 = 49. However, since we are only interested in the number of images within the central region (not counting the images on the sides), we divide by 4, resulting in a final answer of 49/4 = 8 images.