Why Would My Uncle Say to Make All Conductors Same Size for 3 Phase Connection?

In summary, the electrician said that if you don't make the conductors the same length, the shorter conductor will get really hot. I don't know why he would say that, but it's something to think about if you're wiring a 3-phase connection.
triden
My dad and my uncle were wiring in a disconnect & panel in my dad's new shop the other day. It is a 600v 400A 3-phase connection. When they were wiring the 3 phase connection from the main disconnect to the panel, my uncle (whose an electrician) says to make all the conductors the same size. He said that if you don't, the shorter conductor of the 3 will get really hot.

Is there any reason to why he would say this? I can't think of any reason unless maybe the cable was longer...instead of shorter. Then the increased resistance may cause the conductor to heat - not sure. Any ideas?

Engineering news on Phys.org
triden said:
My dad and my uncle were wiring in a disconnect & panel in my dad's new shop the other day. It is a 600v 400A 3-phase connection. When they were wiring the 3 phase connection from the main disconnect to the panel, my uncle (whose an electrician) says to make all the conductors the same size. He said that if you don't, the shorter conductor of the 3 will get really hot.

Is there any reason to why he would say this? I can't think of any reason unless maybe the cable was longer...instead of shorter. Then the increased resistance may cause the conductor to heat - not sure. Any ideas?

Perhaps he meant the same diameter of wire (AWG) instead of length.

CS

He specifically said "Don't make one conductor shorter than the other's - they have to be the same length". That's what confuses me..I don't think he was implying diameter.

triden said:
He specifically said "Don't make one conductor shorter than the other's - they have to be the same length". That's what confuses me..I don't think he was implying diameter.

Nothing comes to mind as to why that would happen (unless it would unbalance the load somehow due to the cable reactance). I think it would have to be a significant difference in length even for that.

I'd ask him to explain his reasoning.

CS

This applies when there are multiple conductor runs for each phase.
It is not advisable to route cables differently and cause difference in lengths when large loads and high currents are likely.
Routing, transpositions in conductors, cable tray details, and even structures near service conductors must be considered for high current applications.
It gets a little involved...

subtech said:
This applies when there are multiple conductor runs for each phase.
It is not advisable to route cables differently and cause difference in lengths when large loads and high currents are likely.
Routing, transpositions in conductors, cable tray details, and even structures near service conductors must be considered for high current applications.
It gets a little involved...
Then could you please explain why different lengths aren't good? Seems okay to me in the OPs situation.

It is ok in the OPs situation if there was a single conductor run for each phase. In the OP, the uncle is mistaken.

As I said, the "equal length rule" does apply when there are multiple conductor runs for each phase.
In multiple conductor runs when amperages are in the hundreds or thousands, routing, transpositions in cable positions, and even cable spacings are important.
Look here:
http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=201037

1. Why is it important to have all conductors the same size in a 3 phase connection?

Having all conductors the same size in a 3 phase connection ensures that there is equal distribution of power among the phases. This helps to prevent overloading of one phase and promotes efficient use of electricity.

2. Can different sized conductors be used in a 3 phase connection?

Yes, it is possible to use different sized conductors in a 3 phase connection. However, this can lead to uneven distribution of power and potential overloading of one phase. It is recommended to use conductors of the same size for optimal performance.

3. How does having all conductors the same size affect the overall cost of a 3 phase connection?

Using conductors of the same size in a 3 phase connection can help to reduce costs in the long run. This is because it promotes balanced power distribution and prevents potential damage to equipment due to uneven power flow.

4. What are the potential risks of not having all conductors the same size in a 3 phase connection?

Not having all conductors the same size in a 3 phase connection can lead to uneven distribution of power, which can result in overloading of one phase. This can cause damage to equipment and potential safety hazards.

5. Are there any exceptions to using conductors of the same size in a 3 phase connection?

There may be certain situations where using different sized conductors in a 3 phase connection is necessary, such as in cases where the load on each phase is known and can be balanced accordingly. However, it is generally recommended to use conductors of the same size for optimal performance and safety.