What is the sum of the series \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{sinn}{2^n}?

In summary: After skimming through some info on Euler's formula, I can substitute sinn= (e^in - e^(-in)) / 2i, I'm confused as to what you are trying to state, could you perhaps elaborate? How exactly did you derive with r = exp(i)/2?exp(i)^n=exp(in)=cos(n)+i*sin(n). If you sum that series and take the imaginary part you get the sum of sin(n). What happens if you do the same thing with (exp(i)/2)^n?I don't know, could you please explain?In summary, the student attempted to solve the homework
Ali812

Homework Statement

[tex]
\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{sinn}{2^n}
[/tex]

Homework Equations

Definition of a geometric series:
[tex]
\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}x^n=\frac{1}{1-x}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically I can use the geometric series idea and implement it into the denominator of the question (i.e. sub x=2 into the equation from part b and change the lower index to n=1)
[tex]
\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}2^n=\frac{1}{1-2}
[/tex]

Taking the derivate of both sides:
[tex]
\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}n2^{n-1}=\frac{1}{(1-2)^2}
[/tex]

Multiplying both sides by 2:
[tex]
\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}n2^n=\frac{2}{(1-2)^2}
[/tex]

Of course I can simplify the question furthermore and get a single value as a result, my problem is I don't understand on how to incorporate the numerator (sin n) into the problem. Is my approach correct, or am I substituting the wrong x-value?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly are you supposed to do with this series?

Mark44 said:
What exactly are you supposed to do with this series?

Suppose to solve for the overall sum I'm assuming, the question simply states "Find [tex]

\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{sinn}{2^n}

[/tex]."

Ali812 said:
Basically I can use the geometric series idea and implement it into the denominator of the question (i.e. sub x=2 into the equation from part b and change the lower index to n=1)

There are two problems here:

(1) The equation you gave for the geometric series only works for |x| < 1.

(2) We can't simply change the lower index to n=1.

Mathnerdmo said:
There are two problems here:

(1) The equation for the geometric series only works for |x| < 1.

(2) We can't simply change the lower index to n=1.

Well that was the only approach I could think of, any other method to solve this question? A starting tip/hint will suffice.

I'm also having some difficulty with the sine in the numerator - I haven't done something like this in a while.

What class is this for, by the way? (to give me an idea of methods you have)

-----

Also, if there is a solution with geometric series, the problems I pointed out can be fixed... you just need to be careful about what you use.

Mathnerdmo said:
I'm also having some difficulty with the sine in the numerator - I haven't done something like this in a while.

What class is this for, by the way? (to give me an idea of methods you have)

Calculus II (First year)

Mathnerdmo said:
Also, if there is a solution with geometric series, the problems I pointed out can be fixed... you just need to be careful about what you use.

From what I can tell, you can change the lower index to n=1, but I assume I will have to check for convergence first, if the series does converge, I can move ahead with this method, if not, I will need an alternative.

Mathnerdmo said:
If you know Euler's formula (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler's_formula ), then you should try using that.

I believe we haven't learned that yet unfortunately, however I have determined that the series is absolutely convergent via the comparison test. What r value can i use so [tex]
|r| < 1
[/tex], involved with the numerator as well? :S

Hrmmm... I don't know a solution if you can't use Euler's formula. Sorry.

(doesn't mean there isn't one, but I'm not seeing it)

I'm with Mathnerdmo. It's pretty easy if you put r=exp(i)/2 and realize your sum is related to the imaginary part of sum(r^n). So |r|<1 and you can treat it as a geometric series. Are you sure you didn't do that in Calc I and just forgot it?

Dick said:
I'm with Mathnerdmo. It's pretty easy if you put r=exp(i)/2 and realize your sum is related to the imaginary part of sum(r^n). So |r|<1 and you can treat it as a geometric series. Are you sure you didn't do that in Calc I and just forgot it?

After skimming through some info on Euler's formula, I can substitute sinn= (e^in - e^(-in)) / 2i, I'm confused as to what you are trying to state, could you perhaps elaborate? How exactly did you derive with r = exp(i)/2?

exp(i)^n=exp(in)=cos(n)+i*sin(n). If you sum that series and take the imaginary part you get the sum of sin(n). What happens if you do the same thing with (exp(i)/2)^n?

What is an infinite series?

An infinite series is a sum of an infinite number of terms. It can be represented in the form of ∑n=1 an, where an is a sequence of numbers and n is the index.

How do you evaluate an infinite series?

To evaluate an infinite series, you can use various methods such as the geometric series test, the ratio test, or the integral test. These methods involve checking the behavior of the series and determining if it converges or diverges.

What is convergence and divergence in an infinite series?

A series is said to converge if the sum of its terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases. On the other hand, if the sum of the terms approaches infinity, the series is said to diverge.

What is the purpose of evaluating an infinite series?

The purpose of evaluating an infinite series is to determine whether it converges or diverges. This information is important in many fields of science and mathematics, such as in calculus, physics, and statistics.

Can all infinite series be evaluated?

No, not all infinite series can be evaluated. Some series, such as the harmonic series, diverge and do not have a finite sum. In these cases, it is important to determine the behavior of the series using different tests or approximations.