How advanced are robots really?

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a video of robots fighting and the possibility of using NiTiNOL wire muscles for controlling the movements. There is also a discussion about the authenticity of the video and the potential of Japanese technology in the future. The conversation also includes links to more information about NiTiNOL and a robot kit for sale.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Robots fighting!

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/2006/04/robotsfighting.html

Is this real!? If so, sweet!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It certainly looked real, but I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out how they got enough actuators into that red bugger to account for all of the movements. Even if they used NiTiNOL wire 'muscles', there shouldn't be room in there for the control circuitry. I'd sure like to see more about it.

I also noticed that at some moments, it seemed like you could see some signs of editing...

That's the problem with low-quality vids. You can't tell what's tampering and what's just lousy photography.

Danger, I have been wondering about 'wire muscles' for a long time. Can you give me a link describing the chemistry of it.
-scott

Nice catch, Rach. There are also some references to it over in the Engineering section, but I'm not sure exactly where. Astronuc posted a few different links there that are very informative.

http://aass.oru.se/cgi-bin/gallery?dir=~zbych/Gallery/RoboOne&nr=30

Dear god, those Japs are going to rule the world one day with their know how. And then all their technology will rule them, and we will be living in the matrix. A Japanese made matrix with space saving cubicles to stack more people up for energy...

OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWTCH

http://www.audiocubes.com/product/KONDO_KHR-1_Robot_Kit.html?ref=8&affiliate_banner_id=1

$1,499 bucks, by you know what...

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Is robot fighting real?

Yes, robot fighting is a real sport where two or more robots are pitted against each other in a controlled environment to compete in combat.

2. Are the robots controlled by humans?

Yes, in most cases, the robots are controlled by humans through a remote control or a computer program. However, there are some robots that are designed to operate autonomously.

3. How are robots built for fighting?

Robots built for fighting are typically made from strong and durable materials such as steel, aluminum, and titanium. They also have specialized components such as motors, gears, and weapons to enhance their combat abilities.

4. Do robots have emotions like humans?

No, robots do not have emotions like humans. They are programmed to perform specific tasks and do not have the ability to feel emotions or make autonomous decisions.

5. Are there any safety measures in place for robot fighting?

Yes, there are strict safety measures in place for robot fighting to ensure the safety of both the operators and the audience. These measures include having a designated arena, protective gear for the operators, and strict rules and regulations for the design and operation of the robots.