What Can Nature Teach Us? Join the Natural Robotics Contest!

In summary, the speaker, a roboticist and university lecturer, is running a design contest called the Natural Robotics Contest in collaboration with other universities. The aim of the contest is to foster interest in biomimicry and to encourage creativity from outside of engineering research offices. The winning drawing will be turned into a real, working robot by a team of professional robotics engineers. The speaker has done similar contests in smaller settings before, but this is the first time it is open to the public. The contest is open for submissions until the end of June.
robjds
Hi!

I'm a roboticist / university lecturer, and I'm running a design contest together with several other universities that I thought might be a great place for all the scientists in this forum! It's called the Natural Robotics Contest: www.naturalroboticscontest.com

All you need is drawing of a nature-inspired robot, that can do something to help the world. And a team of professional robotics engineers will be turning the winning drawing into a real, working (and open-source) robot this summer!

Our main aim is to foster interest in biomimicry, and to let in some creativity from outside of engineering research offices - I often get some great impromptu pitches when I’m talking to the public / visiting schools, so this is a chance to take something off the drawing board that might not otherwise get made. You don't need to be an artist to enter, we're looking for ideas, not drawing ability!

The contest is open for submissions until the end of June. Feel free to get in touch if you’d like to know more!

Attachments

• Thumbnail.PNG
    Thumbnail.PNG
    54.1 KB · Views: 66
Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
robjds said:
I'm a roboticist / university lecturer, and I'm running a design contest together with several other universities that I thought might be a great place for all the scientists in this forum! It's called the Natural Robotics Contest: www.naturalroboticscontest.com

Welcome to PF. Interesting project -- have you done this kind of contest before, or is this the first time?

I've done this sort of contest in small settings (student classes, public events etc.), this is the first time I've opened it up to the public. And there's now a full team of roboticists on board and we've also been awarded some funding to build the winning design into something very cool!

Likes berkeman
You must be really confident in your abilities. ( or not care that much if the final result kind of sucks :D) very cool.

1. What is "The Natural Robotics Contest"?

"The Natural Robotics Contest" is an annual competition that challenges participants to design and build robots that can perform tasks in a natural, unstructured environment. This means that the robots must be able to navigate and complete tasks in environments that are not specifically designed for them, such as a forest or a beach.

2. Who can participate in "The Natural Robotics Contest"?

The contest is open to anyone with a passion for robotics and a desire to push the boundaries of what is possible in natural environments. This includes students, researchers, and professionals from all over the world.

3. What types of tasks are included in "The Natural Robotics Contest"?

The tasks in the contest vary each year, but they are all designed to test the robots' abilities to navigate and interact with natural environments. Some examples of past tasks include collecting samples from a river, navigating through a forest maze, and identifying and picking ripe fruits from a tree.

4. How are the winners of "The Natural Robotics Contest" determined?

The winners are determined by a panel of judges who evaluate the robots based on their performance in completing the tasks, as well as their design, innovation, and overall functionality. The judges also take into consideration the teams' presentations and documentation of their work.

5. What are the benefits of participating in "The Natural Robotics Contest"?

Participating in the contest allows individuals and teams to showcase their skills and creativity in the field of robotics. It also provides an opportunity to network with other like-minded individuals and potentially gain recognition and funding for future projects. Additionally, the contest helps to push the boundaries of what is possible in natural robotics and contributes to advancements in the field.