Calculating the tangential component of the force acting on a projectile

In summary, the problem involves a projectile being launched horizontally from a tall building with a given initial velocity. The task is to determine an expression for the tangential component of the force acting on the projectile in terms of mass, gravity, time, and initial velocity. Assuming negligible air resistance, the horizontal component of the force is zero and the vertical component is equal to mass times gravity. To determine the angle at which the projectile is falling, the horizontal and vertical components of the velocity must be calculated as a function of time.
kylera

Homework Statement

Consider a projectile launched horizontally out the window of a tall building at a speed v(0). Determine an expression for the tangential component of the force acting on the projectile in terms of m, g, t, and v(0). Assume that the air has a negligible effect on the motion.

Homework Equations

F = ma, mostly deductions.

The Attempt at a Solution

V(h) = the horizontal velocity = v(0)
V(v) = the vertical velocity = mt

From here, I assume that since the horizontal velocity does not change because of negligible air resistance, F(h) = horizontal element of the total force applied on the projectile = zero. F(v) = mass * gravity = mg. However, this brings me to where I'm stuck -- I can't figure out how to determine the angle at which the projectile is falling. It can't be straight down. Do I find the angle using the velocities instead and then apply it to the force?

Physics news on Phys.org
kylera said:
From here, I assume that since the horizontal velocity does not change because of negligible air resistance, F(h) = horizontal element of the total force applied on the projectile = zero. F(v) = mass * gravity = mg. However, this brings me to where I'm stuck -- I can't figure out how to determine the angle at which the projectile is falling. It can't be straight down. Do I find the angle using the velocities instead and then apply it to the force?

Hi kylera! :smile:

Yes, the angle changes with t …

so find the horizontal and vertical components of the velocity as a function of t. :smile:

Done! Thanks!

1. What is the definition of the tangential component of force?

The tangential component of force is the component of force that acts along the tangent of a curved path. It is perpendicular to the radial component of force, which acts towards or away from the center of the curve.

2. How do you calculate the tangential component of force?

To calculate the tangential component of force, you can use the formula F_t = F * sin(θ), where F is the total force acting on the projectile and θ is the angle between the force and the tangent of the path.

3. What is the importance of calculating the tangential component of force in projectile motion?

Calculating the tangential component of force is important in projectile motion because it helps us understand the direction of the force acting on the projectile. It allows us to determine how the force affects the motion of the projectile along its curved path.

4. How does the tangential component of force affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The tangential component of force affects the trajectory of a projectile by causing it to accelerate in the direction of the force. This acceleration changes the velocity and direction of the projectile, altering its trajectory.

5. Can the tangential component of force be negative?

Yes, the tangential component of force can be negative. This means that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the tangent of the path, causing the projectile to decelerate or change direction.