Ban "Nasty Sounding Word" - Vote Now

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around the use of the word "got" and whether it should be banned or replaced with a more descriptive word. Some participants felt that it was a useful word in casual conversation, while others argued that it was overused and could be replaced with more specific language. The topic also touched on the evolution of the English language and how certain words become accepted over time.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I hate this word ,even though i use it some times and i am only semi lliterate, and it a nasty sounding word any way, i vote we ban it.

Physics news on Phys.org

You've got to be kidding, Wolram :biggrin:

I am not sure I got it. Could have got something with my English - it got better, but it is still limited.

Borek said:
I am not sure I got it. Could have got something with my English - it got better, but it is still limited.

Aaaaggggghhhhh

I have gotten use to it. Better?

I agree entirely, we should replace it with "getted".

muppet said:
I agree entirely, we should replace it with "getted".

Whats this got to do with the OP. Oh wait it does got to do with it since it was about how much wolram hates the word got.

Got it :D

Heck you guys are knuckle draggers, there is just so much no way that got (has) to be used,
there are many more descriptive words to use.

wolram said:
Heck you guys are knuckle draggers, there is just so much no way that got (has) to be used,
there are many more descriptive words to use.

What else have we got to use instead of Got, sir?

My English teacher said you could replace any use of the word got or get if you think a little bit harder about what you want to say.

Kurdt said:
My English teacher said you could replace any use of the word got or get if you think a little bit harder about what you want to say.

Nice pic Kurdt, i strongly agree with your teacher.

Lisa! said:
What else have we got to use instead of Got, sir?

When some one says i got my shopping, how did they got it, shop lifted it, paid for it lawfully,
it should be (i purchased it), there are just so many ways not to use the word got.

Kurdt said:

Got it!:biggrin: Ok, I was kidding!
But haven't he told you why we should do this? for the sake of thinking harder, thinking of what we say a bit more or simply because that was we speak more beautifully?

"Gonna" is a word in the same category (is it even a word?). I know someone who uses it excessively, what's wrong with saying "going to"?

gotta love this

gotcha :wink:

I hate the word pseudo, it sounds so fake.

Somehow, I feel yall (you-all) may be singling out the southern states before long. : )

I've always wondered how people got so many posts.

Borg said:
I've always wondered how people got so many posts.
You've GOT to post in other forums, not General Discussion, to get your count up. Got it? :biggrin:

I also hate the word 'got', but it is useful in a casual conversation.

wolram said:
When some one says i got my shopping, how did they got it, shop lifted it, paid for it lawfully,
it should be (i purchased it), there are just so many ways not to use the word got.

I usually hear "did the shopping". Not much more expressive really.

In casual conversation it is likely much easier to say "I got the shopping done" then to say "I have purchased some goods from the market". And really why say goods? So cheap and generic a word. One ought to say 'food for dinner' or 'bed linens' or what have you. And which market for gods sake? Am I to read your mind?
Really it ought to be something such as "I have purchased some stewing beef and potatoes for dinner from Ol' Miss Grumble's shop off the square at B street."
Much more satisfying a sentence. Here I know what is for dinner, that you have probably gossiped with that old bag Grumble, and that you spent the money I gave you on that cheap stuff and should owe me some change.

Many very well educated people use the word "got". Read the book "The King's English" by Fowler and Fowler (published by Oxford University Press, no less). They are very proper and correct in their use of the English language, but they freely use the word "got" themselves. English changes. Many words that weren't acceptable before or didn't even exist are now standard English. Oh and let's not even begin on who decides what is correct English, e.g. British or "American" English. It is my opinion that as long as most people can understand you well, it doesn't matter if your English in speech is not 100% correct. When you're doing formal writting, then it's more important to watch your English to impress employers, girls, etc.

1. Why should we ban "nasty sounding word"?

There are several reasons why people may want to ban a particular word. It may be considered offensive or derogatory to a certain group of people, it may perpetuate harmful stereotypes, or it may simply be seen as distasteful or inappropriate.

2. Who gets to decide which words should be banned?

This can be a contentious issue, as different people may have different opinions on what constitutes a "nasty sounding word". In general, it is up to society as a whole to decide through open discussion and debate.

3. What impact does banning a word have?

Banning a word can have a significant impact on language and communication. It may reduce the use of the word in public and formal settings, but it may also drive the word underground and cause it to be used more frequently in certain circles.

4. Is banning a word an effective solution?

This is a difficult question to answer definitively. While banning a word may help to reduce its use and associated negative effects, it may also be seen as limiting freedom of speech and suppressing certain viewpoints. Ultimately, it depends on the specific context and intentions behind the ban.

5. What can I do to support the ban of "nasty sounding word"?

If you believe that a word should be banned, you can join or support organizations and movements that advocate for its removal from language. You can also educate others on the impact of using the word and encourage them to use alternative, more respectful language.