Fall 2010 Course Schedule Planning

In summary, the speaker is seeking advice on what courses to take for the upcoming semester, specifically focusing on reading courses that are not offered in the regular curriculum. They list four options: covering the remaining chapters of General Topology by Munkres, covering essential remaining parts of General Topology and moving on to Algebraic Topology, covering a second part of Real Analysis using Rudin's book, and covering a second portion of Abstract Algebra. They mention that options 1 and 2 are more likely to happen based on their instructor's background. They ask for recommendations and mention that they have a meeting with their advisor in three days. Another speaker suggests doing option 2 and using Munkres as a reference for algebraic topology. They
sutupidmath
Hi all,

Since the pre-registration time for the Fall semester is approaching i need to make plans as what to take next semester.

Specifically, i am planning on taking one or two reading courses since they are not offered via regular curriculum. While it is not for sure that i might be able to do so, since i need the consent of my instructors, i still want to know which of the following would be a better option.

1. One option is to cover completely the first part of General Topology by Munkres; that is the remaining chapters.
2. Cover only the essential remaining parts from General Topology and move on to Algebraic Topology (Second part of Topology by Munkres)
3. A second part of Real Analysis using Rudin's book, Principles of Mathematical Analysis and cover as much as possible.
4. A second portion of Abstract Algebra (> Polynomial Rings etc.)

Since, at best, i will be able to do only two of the above, i was wondering what would you recommend that i insist for?

Option 1 or 2 are the most likely to happen, since the professor i am taking Point-Set topology with, is more of a Topologist rather than Analyst or Algebraist.

But anyways, what would you guys suggest me do?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I need to meet with my advisor in three days. Any suggestion?

I'd personally do option 2. I used Hatcher's algebraic topology and the topology background I'd gotten from analysis was more than enough. You'll of course be able to use Munkres as reference while studying algebraic topology, so can lookup things as needed.

EDIT:
Oh, I just saw you can do two of the above. How much topology is in PMA? If there's a lot, then use that and do the analysis and alg top, they'll compliment each other well and there won't be much redundency. Otherwise maybe (if possible) try your analysis course with a book containing more topology than PMA (Real Analysis by Folland has a chapter on topology that is pretty in depth, but careful, it's very terse).

Last edited:

1. What is the process for planning my fall 2010 course schedule?

The process for planning your fall 2010 course schedule will vary depending on your institution. Typically, you will need to review the course offerings, determine your academic requirements, and create a schedule that fits your availability and academic goals. It is also important to consult with your academic advisor for guidance.

2. When will the fall 2010 course schedule be released?

The specific release date for the fall 2010 course schedule will be determined by your institution. However, most universities and colleges release their schedules several months before the start of the semester. It is important to check your school's academic calendar for the exact release date.

3. How can I find out which courses are being offered in the fall 2010 semester?

You can find out which courses are being offered in the fall 2010 semester by checking your institution's course catalog or schedule of classes. This information is usually available online and can also be obtained from your academic advisor.

4. Can I make changes to my fall 2010 course schedule after it has been finalized?

It is possible to make changes to your fall 2010 course schedule after it has been finalized, but it will depend on your institution's policies and deadlines. Some schools may allow you to add or drop courses within a certain period of time, while others may require you to go through an appeals process. It is important to familiarize yourself with your school's policies and deadlines for making changes to your schedule.

5. What should I do if I am having trouble creating my fall 2010 course schedule?

If you are having trouble creating your fall 2010 course schedule, it is important to seek assistance from your academic advisor or a staff member in the registrar's office. They can help you review your academic requirements, suggest potential courses, and provide guidance on how to create a balanced and manageable schedule.