Optimizing Wetted Area in a Rotating Disk Evaporator

In summary, the formula for calculating the area of a circular disk is A = πr², and the formula for finding the circumference is C = 2πr. The radius of a circular disk cannot be negative as it represents the distance from the center to the edge. The size of the radius directly affects the area of a circular disk, with a larger radius resulting in a larger area. Lastly, a circular disk cannot have a radius of 0 as it would have no size or shape.
momu
A circular disk of radius r is used in an evaporator and is rotated in a vertical plane. It is to be partially submerged in the liquid so as to maximize the exposed wetted area of the disk. show that the center of the disk should be positioned at height r/sqrt(1+pi^2)

ok i absolutely know how to do this question but I'm having a tough time deriving the equation for the submerged portion.. if i can get help on that i would be greatful thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind haha

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for calculating the area of a circular disk?

The area of a circular disk can be calculated using the formula A = πr², where r is the radius of the disk and π is a constant with an approximate value of 3.14.

2. How do you find the circumference of a circular disk?

The circumference of a circular disk can be found using the formula C = 2πr, where r is the radius of the disk and π is a constant with an approximate value of 3.14.

3. Can the radius of a circular disk be negative?

No, the radius of a circular disk cannot be negative as it represents the distance from the center of the disk to its edge. Negative values do not make sense in this context.

4. How does the size of the radius affect the area of a circular disk?

The area of a circular disk is directly proportional to the square of its radius. This means that as the radius increases, the area increases, and as the radius decreases, the area decreases.

5. Can a circular disk have a radius of 0?

No, a circular disk cannot have a radius of 0 as it would essentially have no size or shape. The concept of a circular disk relies on it having a non-zero radius.