Critical Density: What is the Energy Density of the Universe?

In summary, the critical density of the universe is difficult to calculate in an expanding universe and is defined as the density required to produce a static universe. The currently measured amount of matter is not enough to explain the rate of expansion and rotation curves of nearby galaxies, leading to the dark matter conjecture. The Hubble time, which is the time it would take for the universe to expand to its current size, is approximately 13.8 billion years. The critical density is estimated to be around 0.85 joules per cubic kilometer, and the real energy density, based on Ned Wright's best fit estimate, is 0.86 joules per cubic kilometer.
Olivia Grace
Do we know what the critical density of the universe is? I always thought we did know, but apparently (according to friend) we don't...

Space news on Phys.org
Olivia Grace said:
Do we know what the critical density of the universe is? I always thought we did know, but apparently (according to friend) we don't...

I calculated it to be around 0.8 joules per cubic kilometer

you can check my work if you want, Olivia.

there is a standard equation all cosmology is based on called Friedmann equation, and the standard formula for rho_crit comes right out of that

3H2/(8 pi G)

So you just have to plug in the measured values of Hubble parameter H and Newton constant G

=================
what I actually got as an answer was 0.83 joules per cubic kilometer-----but it is just a rough estimate so I rounded it to 0.8

there is an easy way to do the calculation, if you want to try it: the usual figure for the Hubble parameter, at present, is 71 km/second per Mpc which is a bit messy but it boils down to a reciprocal time. It boils down to one over 13.8 billion years.

you can convert 13.8 billion years to T (the time in seconds).

Then you just have to compute 3/(8 pi G T2)

If you use the usual figure for G in SI metric units, that gives a mass density expressed in kilogram per cubic meter. I prefer to multiply by c2 to get it in energy terms, joules per cubic meter or actually cubic kilometer----easier to remember.

Last edited:
Thanks very much, that's really helpful!
One thing,
"the usual figure for the Hubble parameter, at present, is 71 km/second per Mpc which is a bit messy "
How did you boil this down to the 1/13.8 billion years? I'm having trouble converting the units to SI ones...
Your help is muchly appreciated!

Olivia Grace said:
Thanks very much, that's really helpful!
One thing,
"the usual figure for the Hubble parameter, at present, is 71 km/second per Mpc which is a bit messy "
How did you boil this down to the 1/13.8 billion years? I'm having trouble converting the units to SI ones...
Your help is muchly appreciated!

my handbook table of equivalents says that a parsec is 3.0857 x 10^13 kilometers

so I guess there are several ways you could simplify the fraction, one being like this
put the Megaparsec into kilometers, so it is 3.0857 x 10^19 km

divide that by 71 km/s

that gives you the Hubble time expressed in seconds (which you still must convert to years :-( sorry about that)

===========================
perhaps there are smarter ways to do it, but here is what i am proposing, in gory detail, as one method

the inverted Hubble parameter is One Mpc/ (71 km/s)

so that is 3.0857 x 10^18 km/(71 km/s) and kilometers cancel so it's ( (3.0857 x 10^19 )/71) seconds

Last edited:
The critical density is difficult to calculate in an expanding universe. The density 'now' required to produce a static universe is the usual definition. The measurable amount of matter in the universe is nowhere near enough to explain the current rate of expansion. Nor is it sufficient to explain the rotation curves of nearby galaxies. That leads to the dark matter conjecture - which nicely accounts for both effects.

marcus said:
the inverted Hubble parameter is One Mpc/ (71 km/s)

so that is 3.0857 x 10^18 km/(71 km/s) and kilometers cancel so it's ( (3.0857 x 10^19 )/71) seconds

anyway 308.57/71 = 4.346

so the Hubble time, which Olivia Grace seemed to want, is
4.3 x 10^17 seconds

maybe one should postpone rounding off and say 4.346 x 10^17 seconds.

that is the thing everybody calls "13.8 billion years" but it is actually more useful sometimes to know it in terms of seconds, like we have here!

Olivia seems to have vanished:frown:
I was hoping she would finish calculating the critical density

to get it in joules per cubic kilometer all we needed was to
calculate 3 c^2/(8 pi G T^2)

and just looking at mantissas we have
c = 2.9979...
G = 6.6742...
pi = 3.1415926...
hubble time T = 4.346...

when I plug those mantissas in I get 16.074...divided by the square of 4.346

that is where the POINT EIGHT joules comes from. You see it is
16.074... divided by 18.8877...
which is 0.851...

OK what I remembered was 0.83 joules and using today's numbers it is 0.85.

Anyway if you believe dark energy is energy and you average out all the energy in the universe on a per cubic kilometer basis then if Omega is exactly one then it should come to 0.85 joules per each cube.
================

Just for a lark let's take NED WRIGHT'S BEST FIT OMEGA of 1.011.

Then the REAL energy density of the universe equals 1.011 times crit. and crit is 0.851
and that gives 0.860 joules per cubic kilometer.
================

so if Olivia were still around here, we would say to her that based on 71 for the hubble,
the CRIT is 0.85 joules per cubic km
and based on Ned Wright best fit estimate, the REAL energy density of the universe is 1.011 times crit
so the REAL is 0.86 joules per cubic km

Last edited:

1. What is critical density?

Critical density refers to the amount of matter and energy in the universe that is needed to determine its ultimate fate. It is the threshold between an expanding universe that will continue to expand forever and a contracting universe that will eventually collapse.

2. How is critical density calculated?

Critical density is calculated by taking the average density of matter and energy in the universe and comparing it to a value known as the critical density value. This value is determined by the Hubble constant and the gravitational constant.

3. What is the current estimate for critical density?

The current estimate for critical density is around 9.9 x 10^-27 kg/m^3. This is equivalent to about 6 protons per cubic meter. However, this value is constantly being refined and updated as new data and observations are made.

4. Why is critical density important in cosmology?

Critical density is important in cosmology because it helps us understand the overall structure and fate of the universe. It can also provide insights into the nature of dark matter and dark energy, which make up a large portion of the universe's density.

5. Do we know the exact value of critical density?

No, the exact value of critical density is still unknown. It is a constantly evolving concept that is based on current theories and observations. As our understanding of the universe improves, the estimate for critical density may change.