Proving the Openness of a Subset in R^n+1 for Continous Real-Valued Functions

• Thread starter kittybobo1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sets
In summary, the given set can be written as [(x,y): x \in R^n, y > f(x)], and it is open subset of R^{n+1}. The complement of this set can be shown to be closed, which proves that the given set is open.
kittybobo1

Homework Statement

Let f be a continuous real-valued function of R^n. Show that [(x,y): x \in R^n, y > f(x)] is an open subset of R^{n+1}

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If I am thinking about this right... Since f(x) goes from (-oo, y), this is an open subset, and as f is continuous, the domain of f(x) must be open, so x\in U is open.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know if it is just me but I am having a hard time understanding what is going on in your set.

As for functions on open sets, perhaps you may want to consult the different definitions of a continuous function (besides the traditional episilon delta defn).

/Bump

What is the complement of this set?

Would the complement be as all the x are open, then the complement would be closed. Then the complement of the y would be y <= f(x), and as both of these are closed, then in R^{n+1} they would be closed. Thus as the complement is closed, it must be open?

I guess one problem I am having is the y term. Are the f(x) chosen so that it is less than y? Thus y is one point. Or is it given an f(x), the y's go from (f(x), oo).

It looks like y is chosen so it is less than f(x) for all f(x) in your range.
If you can show that the complement is closed then you are done.

I know if I show the complement is closed then it is open, but is there any reasonable way to show that the complement for this set is closed?

/bump

/bumpz

1. What does it mean to prove the openness of a subset in R^n+1 for continuous real-valued functions?

Proving the openness of a subset in R^n+1 for continuous real-valued functions means showing that the subset contains all the points within an open ball, which is a set of all points that are less than a certain distance from a given point.

2. Why is it important to prove the openness of a subset in R^n+1 for continuous real-valued functions?

Proving the openness of a subset is important because it helps us understand the properties and behavior of continuous real-valued functions. This proof also allows us to make conclusions about the continuity and differentiability of these functions.

3. What is the process for proving the openness of a subset in R^n+1 for continuous real-valued functions?

The process for proving the openness of a subset in R^n+1 for continuous real-valued functions involves showing that for any point in the subset, we can find an open ball centered at that point that is entirely contained within the subset. This can be done by using the definition of continuity and the properties of open balls.

4. Can the openness of a subset in R^n+1 be proven for any continuous real-valued function?

Yes, the openness of a subset in R^n+1 can be proven for any continuous real-valued function, as long as the subset is a function of R^n+1 and the function itself is continuous. However, the proof may differ depending on the specific function and subset being considered.

5. Are there any real-world applications for proving the openness of a subset in R^n+1 for continuous real-valued functions?

Yes, there are many real-world applications for proving the openness of a subset in R^n+1 for continuous real-valued functions. For example, this proof is used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to analyze the behavior and properties of various systems and functions. It is also important in understanding the convergence of numerical methods for solving equations and optimization problems.