Coefficient of friction lies between 0.1 and 1.5

In summary, the conversation discusses the value of the coefficient of friction and its limitations. While it is theoretically possible for the coefficient to be higher than 1.5, it may not be meaningful in real-world situations due to deformation or destruction of materials. The conversation also mentions the concept of "static friction" and how it may not apply in extreme cases such as a welded bar. The limitations of Coulomb's model of friction are also mentioned, as well as the need for more advanced mechanics and simulations to accurately determine friction coefficients in complex situations. The conversation ends with a question about how to calculate the coefficient of friction for rubber to rubber surfaces.
Yashbhatt
My textbook says that the value of the coefficient of friction lies between 0.1 and 1.5. But I see no reason why it can't be 2,3,4,5 etc. One just needs to apply a force greater enough to move an object if the coefficient of friction has a greater value. What is the actual thing about it?

Physics news on Phys.org
In theory, it is possible. High coefficients may not be meaningful because the materials are likely to be deformed or destroyed instead of sliding.

Imagine you have a bar of metal welded onto a table made of metal. The "coefficient of static friction" there must be enormous! But at that point, perhaps it's better to model the situation in a different way.

I guess it could be 2 or 3...the actual thing about it is that, so far, experiments between a surface and an object on top of it have yielded values within that range (rubber to rubber as large as 2).

Then again, for as long as friction raises from the (inter-atomic) forces between the molecules of the bottom surface and those of the object on top of it, there probably is a limit to friction coefficients.

Matterwave said:
Imagine you have a bar of metal welded onto a table made of metal. The "coefficient of static friction" there must be enormous! But at that point, perhaps it's better to model the situation in a different way.

For the "coefficient of static friction" to be meaningful there must be a linear or at least an approximately affine relationship between normal force and friction. I do not see one in the case of a weld. Though that may just be because I'm not familiar with the mechanics of weld failure.

One could set up a pair of greased meshed gears and achieve an arbitrarily high "coefficient of static friction" by choosing the angle of the gear teeth.

Code:
v v v v v
 ^ ^ ^ ^

Last edited:
Coulomb's simple model of friction is just a piece of convenient mathematics, that works fairly well in some real-world situations, and is simple enough to use in hand calculations.

It doesn't contain any physics at all. It seems to be a common misunderstanding that it is some kind of universal physical "law".

If the loads are sufficiently high that the objects deform before there is any macroscopic "slipping" motion, Coulomb's model is usually not very accurate. That's one reason why it doesn't make much sense to talk about "static friction" in Coulomb's sense with friction coefficients greater than about 1.0. You really need to look at the stress and strain distributions over the contact area of the two flexible bodies, not just the total values of "normal" and "tangential" force. But you can't do that without computer simulations, and a lot more understanding of mechanics than you need to solve high-school-level textbook problems using Coulomb friction.

jbriggs444 said:
For the "coefficient of static friction" to be meaningful there must be a linear or at least an approximately affine relationship between normal force and friction. I do not see one in the case of a weld. Though that may just be because I'm not familiar with the mechanics of weld failure.

One could set up a pair of greased meshed gears and achieve an arbitrarily high "coefficient of static friction" by choosing the angle of the gear teeth.

Code:
v v v v v
 ^ ^ ^ ^

You are right. I don't believe a weld can be described by a coefficient of static friction. I guess I didn't think it through!

gsal said:
I guess it could be 2 or 3...the actual thing about it is that, so far, experiments between a surface and an object on top of it have yielded values within that range (rubber to rubber as large as 2).

Then again, for as long as friction raises from the (inter-atomic) forces between the molecules of the bottom surface and those of the object on top of it, there probably is a limit to friction coefficients.

Can you explain me how rubber to rubber be large as 2.
How to calculate it ?

1. What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a dimensionless number that represents the amount of resistance between two surfaces in contact. It is a measure of the frictional force between the two surfaces.

2. Why does the coefficient of friction range from 0.1 to 1.5?

The coefficient of friction can range from 0.1 to 1.5 because it is dependent on the type of materials in contact and the roughness of their surfaces. Different materials and surface textures will have different coefficients of friction.

3. What does a coefficient of friction of 0.1 mean?

A coefficient of friction of 0.1 means that there is very little resistance between the two surfaces in contact. This indicates that the surfaces are very smooth and have a low level of interaction.

4. Is a coefficient of friction of 1.5 considered high or low?

A coefficient of friction of 1.5 is considered high. It indicates that there is a significant amount of resistance between the two surfaces in contact, which can result in a higher frictional force.

5. How is the coefficient of friction measured?

The coefficient of friction is typically measured using a device called a tribometer, which applies a known force to two surfaces in contact and measures the resulting frictional force. It can also be calculated by dividing the force required to move an object by the weight of the object.