How does ultrasonic oscillation reduce sliding friction?

In summary, ultrasonic cutting with a blade produces a "cocoon effect" that virtually eliminates sticking.
foodstarch87
Hi everyone!

Sorry if I'm not able to work through this problem very much myself... I'm a Food Science student, and I'm trying to read an article about ultrasonic cutting when applied to apple slicing. From the papers they reference, the rapid vibrations on the blade reduce the friction coefficient significantly, but I can't understand why that is the case.

In the end, the friction coefficient is simplified down to μ ≅ 2/π (ζ)
where ζ = (moving velcocity) / (vibrational velocity)

The lower the ratio of the blade velocity to the vibrational velocity, the lower the frictional coefficient. I can't really follow the actual derivation very well, since I've only dealt with friction at the most basic level (like mostly up to F = μN...).

Any help with deconstructing the steps in the article would be highly appreciated! I'll try my best to follow and work through it too! Mostly looking for a basic explanation for what's going on. It just doesn't make intuitive sense to me.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Sliding friction in the presence of ultrasonic oscillations superposition of longitudinal osci...pdf
    133.2 KB · Views: 144
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Um, Static friction vs Dynamic friction ??

FWIW, I used related technique to move our massive steel lab-benches. Took 'Three Large Guys' or just skinny me. Trick was to use the bench frame's slight flexibility. I'd pull a bench, then kick the nearest leg to start it. The bench would wriggle, its legs became pendulums, and I'd 'walk' it along the aisle without further ado...

Likes foodstarch87
Sorry if this is a dumb question. Are you suggesting that when it vibrates so fast, it is more of a dynamic friction coefficient in the instantaneous moment? The blade is always moving downward when cutting, but the oscillation seems to somehow affect the friction coefficient. Not super well versed in this haha

foodstarch87 said:
Are you suggesting that when it vibrates so fast, it is more of a dynamic friction coefficient in the instantaneous moment?

I can't speak for @Nik_2213 , but yes, the vibrations do not let the friction go into the static range, which with very few exceptions is higher than the dynamic friction.

It is much harder in most cases to start two surfaces moving against each rather than keeping them moving.

There are other things in play at speed: entrained air/gas, possibly vaporizing lube, lubricant viscosity changes due to pressure/temp, surface heating...others...

I believe though, you are looking at a well documented special case static versus dynamic friction experiment.

Likes foodstarch87
Hi everyone,

I was digging around more and saw this explanation on the data sheet of the ultrasonic blade manufacturer. It said that "Because the horn (the blade) is vibrating at such a high frequency, it disrupts the air molecules around it causing a cocoon effect. This cocoon effect virtually eliminates product sticking". Does this sound plausible? How would I describe that as a physics phenomenon?

Attachments

• ultrasonic-food-cutting-data-sheet.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 181
The mode of oscillation will determine the principle being employed to cut.

1. Simple vertical oscillation, is chopping. It replaces static friction with dynamic friction, may introduce a cocoon of air.

2. Oscillation along the length of the blade, is slicing. It will convert static to dynamic friction, but introduces less air.

3. Sideways oscillation, opening the kerf and introducing air. It will be messy.

The slots in the cutter look to me like they are there to encourage the vertical oscillation mode
The cutting quality may be because the knife remains clean which reduces sticking.

Likes foodstarch87
It may or may not be the primary effect, but pulling or pushing a knife longitudinally as it advances into a cut has a useful result. The frictional force of the material on the flat of the knife has a more or less fixed magnitude. That friction acts opposite to the direction of relative motion. If the knife is moving primarily longitudinally, this dynamic friction acts primarily longitudinally. The component of friction that then acts to oppose the knife advancing into the cut is reduced.

Vibration has an advantage over long strokes because it eliminates the need to support the material against the longitudinal force of friction. The material's own inertia does the job.

A vertical vibration into and out of the cut would have much the same effect. The time average of the momentarily upward and momentarily downward forces of friction can average out to something pretty small, even though the net movement averages downward.

Last edited:
Likes foodstarch87

1. How does ultrasonic oscillation reduce sliding friction?

Ultrasonic oscillation reduces sliding friction by creating a thin layer of air between two surfaces, which reduces the contact area and thus the friction between them. This is known as the "cushioning effect". Additionally, the high frequency vibrations of the ultrasonic waves can break up any adhesion or bonding between the surfaces, further reducing friction.

2. What is the mechanism behind ultrasonic oscillation reducing sliding friction?

The mechanism behind ultrasonic oscillation reducing sliding friction is a combination of the cushioning effect and the breaking up of adhesion between surfaces. The high frequency vibrations create a thin layer of air between the surfaces, while also disrupting any bonds or adhesion that may be present between them.

3. Does ultrasonic oscillation work on all types of surfaces?

Ultrasonic oscillation can work on a variety of surfaces, including metals, plastics, and even liquids. However, the effectiveness may vary depending on the specific properties of the surfaces and the frequency of the ultrasonic waves being used.

4. Can ultrasonic oscillation completely eliminate sliding friction?

While ultrasonic oscillation can significantly reduce sliding friction, it cannot completely eliminate it. There will always be some level of friction present between two surfaces, even with the cushioning effect and disruption of adhesion. However, ultrasonic oscillation can greatly reduce the amount of friction and make movement smoother and easier.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks or limitations to using ultrasonic oscillation to reduce sliding friction?

One potential drawback of using ultrasonic oscillation to reduce sliding friction is the need for specialized equipment and expertise. This may make it more difficult or expensive to implement in certain situations. Additionally, the effectiveness of ultrasonic oscillation may be limited by the surface properties and the frequency of the waves being used. It is important to carefully consider these factors before using ultrasonic oscillation as a method for reducing sliding friction.