Finding the moment of inertia of a compound object

In summary, the problem involves a uniform bar with two small balls attached to its end, with masses of 4.00 Kg and 0.500 Kg respectively. The moment of inertia is being calculated for an axis perpendicular to the bar through its center. Using the equations I=1/3ML^2 and I=\Sigmamr^2, the moment of inertia is found to be 5.33 Kgm^2 and 1.0Kgm^2, respectively. Combining these results, the total moment of inertia for the system is 6.33 Kgm^2. The mistake in the original calculation was due to using the incorrect formula for the moment of inertia when the axis of rotation crosses the
dentulousfing

Homework Statement

A uniform bas has two small balls glued to its end, the bar is 2.00 m long, and it has a mass 4.00 Kg, while the balls, have mass 0.500Kg and can be treated as point masses. Find the moment of inertia of this combination about each of the following axes. a) an axis perpendicular to the bar through its center.

Homework Equations

I=1/3ML^2
I=[tex]\Sigma[/tex]mr^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I=1/3ML^2
I=1/3(4.00Kg)(2.00m)^2
I=5.33 Kgm^2

I=[tex]\Sigma[/tex]mr^2
I=(0.500Kg)(2.00m)^2(2)
I=1.0Kgm^2

I tot =6.33 Kgm^2
I am supposed to add both results?, how is the result of hit sexercise 2.33 Kgm^2?
thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I of bar is 1/12*M*L^2.

I believe that's the equation when the axis of rotation goes through one of the bar's end. when the axis crosses the center of the bar I=1/3ML^2 according to my textbook.

you were right, I am so sorry. thanks. I finally got it.!

What is the moment of inertia of a compound object?

The moment of inertia of a compound object is a measure of its resistance to changes in rotational motion. It is a property that depends on the mass distribution and geometry of the object.

How is the moment of inertia of a compound object calculated?

The moment of inertia of a compound object can be calculated by summing the individual moments of inertia of its component parts. This can be done using the parallel axis theorem or the perpendicular axis theorem, depending on the axis of rotation.

What factors affect the moment of inertia of a compound object?

The moment of inertia of a compound object is affected by the mass distribution and geometry of its component parts. Objects with larger masses and more spread out mass distributions tend to have larger moments of inertia.

Why is the moment of inertia important in physics?

The moment of inertia is important in physics because it is a fundamental property that affects an object's rotational motion. It is used in calculations involving torque, angular velocity, and angular acceleration.

How can the moment of inertia of a compound object be measured experimentally?

The moment of inertia of a compound object can be measured experimentally by using a torsion pendulum, which measures the object's resistance to rotational motion. Another method is using a rotating platform and measuring the object's angular acceleration for different applied torques.