Understanding μk for Physics Students: Exam Prep Help

• Thread starter T_razz
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around a first year physics student seeking help with understanding concepts and using them to find quantities such as Fn and a→. The coefficient of kinetic friction was discussed and it was mentioned that it is used the same way as any coefficient of friction. Friction as an additional force in free-body diagrams was also mentioned, with potential pitfalls including direction and transitioning between kinetic and static cases. A link to a resource on friction was provided and a clarification was made that the coefficient is not the force. The conversation ended with a seemingly unrelated discussion about psychic abilities.
T_razz
I'm currently a first year physics student and missed some nets and concepts and need help before exams. It would be a HUGE help if someone could explain it to me and how to use it to find things like Fn and a→ when mass and μk is given. Please i really could use this info and thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
By ##\mu_k## do you mean the coefficient of kinetic friction?
It's used the same way as any coefficient of friction.

You use friction as an additional force in the free-body diagram.
People tend to trip up on the direction (it changes if the velocity changes direction) and on the transition between kinetic and static cases.

See:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/frict.html

Hyperphysics appears to repeat an "obsolete idea" about friction re surface roughness.
See: http://amasci.com/miscon/miscon4.html#fric
... does not affect the calculation though.

Last edited:
yeah i was talking about it as as a coefficient of friction kinetic friction and thanks for the help!

I'm impressed you were able to decode that, Simon! I didn't have a clue what the OP was asking... :smile:

@T_razz: no worries, do some examples and let me know if you get stuck.

@berkeman: experience :D
I need to edit my original reply slightly though: the coefficient is not the force. I'm sure nobody got confused...

Psychic?

I don't know - let's see... ummmm... I'm picking up an impression of a square or rectangle of light in front of you... also a general blockyness like an ordered cubism regularly under your hands.
There's another in the background - it's fuzzy - associated with the letter D or C.
Does this make any sense to you?

Related to Understanding μk for Physics Students: Exam Prep Help

What is μk and why is it important in physics?

μk, also known as the coefficient of kinetic friction, is a measure of the amount of force required to overcome friction between two surfaces in motion. It is an important concept in physics because it helps us understand the factors that affect the motion of objects and how to calculate the force needed to move them.

How is μk calculated?

μk is calculated by dividing the force of friction by the normal force between two surfaces. It can also be calculated using the equation μk = Ff/N, where μk is the coefficient of kinetic friction, Ff is the force of friction, and N is the normal force.

What factors affect the value of μk?

The value of μk is affected by several factors, including the type of surfaces in contact, the weight of the objects, and the smoothness of the surfaces. It is also affected by the presence of lubricants or other substances that can reduce friction.

How does μk differ from μs?

μk and μs are both coefficients of friction, but they represent different types of friction. μk represents the force needed to overcome kinetic friction, while μs represents the force needed to overcome static friction, which is the force that must be overcome to start an object in motion.

Why is it important for physics students to understand μk?

Understanding μk is crucial for physics students because it is a fundamental concept in the study of motion and forces. It is used in many real-world applications, such as designing machines and structures, and it is also important for solving problems and making accurate predictions in physics experiments.