Trying to understand the inner workings of a solar cell

• I
  • Thread starter Jman99
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solar cell
Jman99
I understand the basics but one thing sticks out in my mind which I cant make sense of, on the N side there are alot of electrons just sitting there like a gas (presumably with 0 net charge) held back by the internal electric field at the junction, and when light strikes the cell there are many light induced electrons that are swept across to the end of the emitter to flow through the load.
I can't make sense of how these swept electrons travel through that gas of electrons already there, and why in open circuit there is a potential built across the cell if the gas of electrons is there, what makes the collected electrons different than the gas of electrons? I'm just not getting how the gas of electrons and collected electrons mesh together.

Can someone explain exactly how and why the rise in temp lowers Voc? I read the reverse saturation current lowers Voc, but its not really an answer that gives a detailed account step by step.

Finally, for recombination losses, it seems to me there is conflicting info, some sources speak of a fundamental absolutely required loss which i dont know how it actually works, and others simply mention a loss as the electron travels across the junction it can recombine with a slower moving hole, this loss being 10% of the incident power. Are they the same? What is the difference?
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Jman99 said:
I can't make sense of how these swept electrons travel through that gas of electrons already there, and why in open circuit there is a potential built across the cell if the gas of electrons is there, what makes the collected electrons different than the gas of electrons? I'm just not getting how the gas of electrons and collected electrons mesh together.
My understanding as a non-expert:

Don't think of the electrons as being in a 'gas', but rather think of them as being in various energy levels, some of which are mobile and some of which aren't. The electron liberated when a photon creates an electron-hole pair is in the conduction band and is able to move quite easily around the material. While this electron exists and before it recombines with a hole, it contributes to an extra negative charge to one side of the PN junction, and many of these electrons combines from lots of light add up to generate a significant voltage, which is what you detect when you measure the open circuit voltage. The holes do the same thing on the other side of the junction, but with the opposite charge.

Jman99 said:
Can someone explain exactly how and why the rise in temp lowers Voc?
My limited understanding is that the higher temperature makes it easier for the electrons and holes to recombine by diffusing back against the electric field instead of going through the circuit. Since temperature is generally a measure of how hard particles are vibrating or moving around, a higher temperature gives the electrons and holes more energy to move against the field to recombine.

I can't answer your last question.

Likes Jman99
Thanks, that all makes sense now about not thinking of them as gas, I never thought of it like.

What is a solar cell and how does it work?

A solar cell, also known as a photovoltaic (PV) cell, is a device that converts light into electricity using the photovoltaic effect. When sunlight hits the solar cell, photons from the light are absorbed by semiconductor materials, such as silicon, embedded in the cell. This absorption of light energy causes electrons to become excited and move freely. These free electrons are then directed by electric fields in the cell, creating a flow of electrical current when the cell is connected to a circuit.

What are the main types of solar cells?

There are primarily three types of solar cells: monocrystalline, polycrystalline, and thin-film solar cells. Monocrystalline cells are made from a single crystal structure and are known for their high efficiency and long lifespan. Polycrystalline cells are made from multiple crystalline silicon fragments melted together, and they are slightly less efficient but generally cheaper than monocrystalline cells. Thin-film solar cells are made by depositing one or more layers of photovoltaic material on a substrate and are more flexible and lighter but typically less efficient than crystalline silicon cells.

What factors affect the efficiency of a solar cell?

The efficiency of a solar cell is influenced by several factors including the type of semiconductor material used, the quality of the materials, the configuration of the cell, the amount of light received, and the temperature of the environment. Efficiency can also be impacted by the presence of impurities and defects in the cell’s structure. Additionally, the angle of sunlight and the cleanliness of the solar panel surface can affect the amount of light absorbed and consequently the overall efficiency.

How can solar cells be integrated into the power grid?

Solar cells can be integrated into the power grid through systems known as on-grid or grid-tied solar systems. These systems connect the solar panels to the public electricity grid and use inverters to convert the DC electricity generated by the solar cells into AC electricity, which is the standard electrical current used by most homes and businesses. Excess electricity generated can be fed back into the grid, often in exchange for energy credits or a reduction in the electricity bill.

What are the latest advancements in solar cell technology?

Recent advancements in solar cell technology include the development of perovskite solar cells, which offer high efficiency rates and lower production costs compared to traditional silicon cells. Researchers are also working on improving the efficiency of thin-film solar cells and developing technologies that can integrate solar cells into building materials, such as windows and facades. Additionally, efforts are being made to increase the sustainability of solar panels by using more environmentally friendly materials and recycling used panels.