Trying to understand explosions

• Thread starter Aaron Peabody
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explosions
In summary, the conversation discusses the nature and amount of force generated in an explosion, specifically when one gram of matter is completely annihilated, releasing 8.9876E+13 Joules of energy. The speaker also questions the concept of the inverse square law and how it applies to explosions, particularly in regards to the energy flux per unit area. They also mention the idea of confinement and how it affects the force and power of an explosion. Ultimately, the conversation highlights the complexities of understanding and accurately calculating the force and energy of an explosion.
Aaron Peabody
Hello. I’m trying to understand the nature and amount of force generated in an explosion. Take, for example, the explosion that results from the complete annihilation of one gram of matter, releasing 8.9876E+13 Joules. Let’s say that the initial volume of the explosive material is one cubic centimeter, shaped into a sphere with an area of .2244 square meters. Working through the inverse square law I end up with an output of 4.0050E+14, and this is where I begin to get confused.

I get that having an area measuring less than 1.0 means that my final energy value will be greater than my original energy value, but while this might be mathematically correct it doesn’t reflect what would happen in the real world (making an explosive smaller does not make it more powerful). I suspect I’m missing something fundamental here, but being neither a mathematician nor a scientist I’m not sure what it is.

My second point of confusion has to do with something I came across when I was reading up on the inverse square law. In the description I found the following statement: "At large distances from the source (compared to the size of the source)…”. What I’m wondering is what constitutes a “large” distance compared to the source. Is it twice the size? Ten times?

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
I’m trying to understand the nature and amount of force generated in an explosion. Take, for example, the explosion that results from the complete annihilation of one gram of matter, releasing 8.9876E+13 Joules. Let’s say that the initial volume of the explosive material is one cubic centimeter, shaped into a sphere with an area of .2244 square meters. Working through the inverse square law I end up with an output of 4.0050E+14, and this is where I begin to get confused.

I don't follow the calculation you have done.
If your explosive releases X joules of energy, then that is how much energy it releases.
No amount of fiddling with geometry changes that. But the energy flux per unit area can be higher, the closer to the center of the explosion you get.

I get that having an area measuring less than 1.0 means that my final energy value will be greater than my original energy value, but while this might be mathematically correct it doesn’t reflect what would happen in the real world (making an explosive smaller does not make it more powerful). I suspect I’m missing something fundamental here, but being neither a mathematician nor a scientist I’m not sure what it is.
"measuring less than 1.0" is irrelevant - that depends on the size of the units you use and has nothing to do with the physics.

My second point of confusion has to do with something I came across when I was reading up on the inverse square law. In the description I found the following statement: "At large distances from the source (compared to the size of the source)…”. What I’m wondering is what constitutes a “large” distance compared to the source. Is it twice the size? Ten times?
Depends on the context.
The idea is that an approximation has to be justified.

Note: inverse square law is not specific to explosions.

The power of an explosion depends on how fast the energy content is released.

The force of the explosion depends upon how it is confined ...

In the open air it is carried by the supersonic blastwave.

For the perfect matter-antimatter explosion hypothesized here ... you would get a lot of gamma rays. The intensity would fall off as the inverse square of the distance from the center; there would be a single pulse traveling outward at the speed of light. This pulse would appear as a thin shell ... the thickness depending on how long the anhilalation took.

1. What causes explosions?

Explosions are typically caused by a rapid release of energy, often in the form of heat and pressure, from a chemical reaction or physical force. Examples include combustion reactions, nuclear reactions, and the bursting of pressurized containers.

2. How do scientists study explosions?

Scientists use a variety of tools and techniques to study explosions, including high-speed cameras, computer simulations, and controlled experiments. They also analyze the chemical and physical properties of explosive materials to better understand their behavior.

3. Can explosions be predicted?

In some cases, scientists can predict the likelihood and potential impact of an explosion by analyzing the conditions and materials involved. However, predicting exactly when and where an explosion will occur is still a challenging task.

4. What are the dangers of explosions?

Explosions can be extremely dangerous and destructive, causing harm to people, buildings, and the environment. They can also release toxic gases and debris, leading to secondary hazards such as fires and pollution.

5. How can we prevent explosions?

To prevent explosions, it is important to understand the causes and potential risks of different types of explosions. Proper handling and storage of explosive materials, as well as regular maintenance and safety protocols, can help reduce the chances of an explosion occurring.