Basics of pressure and pascal's principle

In summary, according to the article, it is correct to say that as the volume and height increases or with these increasing layers there is more force been 'packed' behind /generated with the greater depth and from the receiving end a greater output in terms of force with each increase of depth directly vertically below the applied force (ignoring where pressure gauges often channel forces horizontally away and then opposite in direction up an exit pipe which balances forces, e.g. barometer or manometer).
johndb
I've being studying fluids and pressure, but want to clarify something. Take a rough example of a force applied on a fluid/gas is it correct to say that from 'P + pgh' one can say that as the volume and height increases or with these increasing layers there is more force been 'packed' behind /generated with the greater depth and from the receiving end a greater output in terms of force with each increase of depth directly vertically below the applied force (ignoring where pressure gauges often channel forces horizontally away and then opposite in direction up an exit pipe which balances forces, e.g. barometer or manometer). In a sense can I say that because of depth, height and pressure an initial input force can increase/multiply because of these factors for a greater output force.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
johndb said:
I've being studying fluids and pressure, but want to clarify something. Take a rough example of a force applied on a fluid/gas is it correct to say that from 'P + pgh' one can say that as the volume and height increases or with these increasing layers there is more force been 'packed' behind /generated with the greater depth and from the receiving end a greater output in terms of force with each increase of depth directly vertically below the applied force (ignoring where pressure gauges often channel forces horizontally away and then opposite in direction up an exit pipe which balances forces). In a sense can I say that because of depth, height and pressure an initial input force can increase/multiply because of these factors for a greater output force.

I'm not clear as to what exactly you are asking. Is the fluid in a rigid container, a cylinder/piston assembly, or something else?

CS

Well I'm not fussy, can be any of those, (unless of course that changes how the the force is communicated through the fluid/gas) I'm concerned about the underlying principle.

johndb said:
Well I'm not fussy, can be any of those, (unless of course that changes how the the force is communicated through the fluid/gas) I'm concerned about the underlying principle.

Perhaps this will help:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/pasc.html

CS

1. What is pressure?

Pressure is defined as the amount of force applied per unit area. It is typically measured in units of pascals (Pa) or newtons per square meter (N/m2).

2. How is pressure calculated?

Pressure is calculated by dividing the force exerted on an object by the area over which the force is applied. In equation form, it is expressed as P = F/A, where P is pressure, F is force, and A is area.

3. What is Pascal's principle?

Pascal's principle, also known as the principle of transmission of fluid-pressure, states that a change in pressure applied to a confined fluid is transmitted equally in all directions throughout the fluid.

4. How does Pascal's principle apply to everyday life?

Pascal's principle is the basis for many everyday applications, such as hydraulic systems used in car brakes and heavy machinery. It also explains why squeezing one end of a toothpaste tube causes the toothpaste to come out of the other end.

5. What is the unit of measurement for pressure in the metric system?

In the metric system, pressure is typically measured in pascals (Pa), named after the French mathematician and physicist Blaise Pascal. Other commonly used units include kilopascals (kPa) and megapascals (MPa).