[tex] f(x) = x^x [/tex]Given this function, defined, let's say for

• Thread starter Paul
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, Given the function f(x) = x^x for all real numbers, it is not possible to determine if x is rational or irrational for integer values of f(x) without looking at specific argument and function values. However, if x is not an integer, then x^x will always be irrational. There is no known way to rearrange the equation y=x^x into a function of y in terms of x, but there is an iterative formula available for approximating x when given y.
Paul
[tex] f(x) = x^x [/tex]
Given this function, defined, let's say for all real numbers, is there any way to tell when x is rational versus irrational for integer values of f(x)?
e.g.
[tex] x^x = 4 [/tex]
x = 2
[tex] x^x = 27 [/tex]
x = 3
[tex] x^x = 3 [/tex]
x = 1.825455054...

Thanks!

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
You mean other that simply taking the xth root of x?

Do you mean the xth root of f(x)? Or am I misunderstanding? And yes, I meant other than simply looking at specific argument and function values.

Paul said:
Do you mean the xth root of f(x)?

Whoops, I sure do. :redface:

And yes, I meant other than simply looking at specific argument and function values.

I'm not sure off the top of my head, but let me play with it.

3^3 doesn't equal, so x=3 is irrational. sorry to nitpick.

interesting problem though. i bet there isn't a way besides applying the interger set for x and assuming all others will be irrational. is there any value for f(x) that results in a non interger rational number? if so, that negates using the interger set to find the y.

Thanks, I corrected the typo. And I guess that would put us on the path to a solution. Essentially, given that x is not an element of Z (the integer set), is [tex] x^x \in Z [/tex] possible?

Okay, suppose x=a/b, where a,b are integers. Assume that the fraction is reduced, ie. gcd(a,b)=1. Then x^x= (a/b)^(a/b)=[tex](\frac{a^a}{b^a})^\frac{1}{b}[/tex]

But [tex]gcd(a^a,b^a)=1[/tex], and therefore [tex](\frac{a^a}{b^a})^\frac{1}{b}[/tex] is irrational. It follows that if x^x is an integer, then either x is an integer or transcendental.

so there are also no solutions that are non intergers but rational, like 1/3 and 1/4?
i understand that x^x is an interger if x is an interger.

that tells us that the set of intergers for x gives us the solution set of y? there are no fractional xs for interger ys? sorry I am dumb. i want to learn though!

I was wondering the same thing about taking the logarithm or ln of a function.

I was interested in this quite some time ago. I finally found an article saying there is no known way of rearranging the equation:

[tex]y=x^x[/tex]

In to some function of y in terms of x. But I did find an iterative formulae so you could approximate to as much accuracy as you wanted if you had y and wanted to know x. I'll see if I can find it again.

1. What is the domain and range of the function [tex]f(x) = x^x[/tex]?

The domain of the function [tex]f(x) = x^x[/tex] is all real numbers greater than 0. The range is also all real numbers greater than 0.

2. Does [tex]f(x) = x^x[/tex] have any asymptotes?

No, the function [tex]f(x) = x^x[/tex] does not have any asymptotes.

3. How many critical points does [tex]f(x) = x^x[/tex] have?

The function [tex]f(x) = x^x[/tex] has one critical point at [tex]x = \frac{1}{e}[/tex]. This is where the function changes from decreasing to increasing.

4. Is [tex]f(x) = x^x[/tex] an even or odd function?

The function [tex]f(x) = x^x[/tex] is neither even nor odd. It does not exhibit symmetry about the y-axis or origin.

5. How does the graph of [tex]f(x) = x^x[/tex] compare to the graph of [tex]f(x) = x[/tex]?

The graph of [tex]f(x) = x^x[/tex] and [tex]f(x) = x[/tex] are similar in shape, but the graph of [tex]f(x) = x^x[/tex] is steeper and increases at a faster rate than [tex]f(x) = x[/tex].