Semisimple algebra (Killing form)

In summary, the conversation is about understanding an example in Lie algebra, specifically the application of the theorem to A_2. The generators and positive roots are given as well as the equations and calculations needed to check parts (1) and (2) of the example. The issue lies in finding t_{\alpha} and t_{\beta} to calculate K(t_{\alpha},t_{\alpha}). The solution is to calculate the Cartan integers from the given basis.
droblly
I have started learning Lie algebra and I can't understand one example given in the notes.
Given:
[tex] [h_{\alpha},e_{\alpha}] = 2 e_{\alpha} [/tex]
[tex] [h_{\alpha},f_{\alpha}] = -2 f_{\alpha} [/tex]
[tex] [e_{\alpha},f_{\alpha}] = h_{\alpha} [/tex]

and that
[tex]
[x,y] = K(x,y) t_{\alpha}
[/tex]
if [tex]\alpha[/tex] is a root and [tex] x \in L_{\alpha}, y \in L_{-\alpha} [/tex]
Now, the example is application of the theorem to [tex]A_2[/tex].
Generators are
[tex] h_{\alpha} = E_{11} -E_{22} [/tex]
[tex] h_{\beta} = E_{22} -E_{33} [/tex]
[tex] e_{\alpha} = E_{12} [/tex]
[tex] e_{\beta} = E_{23}[/tex]
[tex] e_{-\alpha} = E_{21} [/tex]
[tex]e_{-\beta} = E_{32} [/tex]
and Postive roots are {[tex] \alpha, \beta, \alpha+\beta [/tex]}.

I am meant to check that
1.[tex]\alpha(h_{\alpha}) = \beta(h_{\beta}) =2 [/tex]
2.[tex] \alpha(h_{\beta}) = \beta(h_{\alpha}) =-1 [/tex]

I can't do part (2). Part (1) seems simple:
[tex] \alpha(h_{\alpha}) = K(t_{\alpha},h_{\alpha} )= K(t_{\alpha},2\frac{t_{\alpha}}{K(t_{\alpha},t_{\alpha})}) = 2 [/tex]
My problem is with finding [tex]t_{\alpha}[/tex] and [tex] t_{\beta}[/tex] to calculate [tex]K(t_{\alpha},t_{\alpha})[/tex]. How would one go about doing it?
Because
[tex] \alpha(h_{\beta}) = K(t_{\alpha},h_{\beta} )= K(t_{\alpha},2\frac{t_{\beta}}{K(t_{\beta},t_{\beta})}) = \frac{2}{K(t_{\beta},t_{\beta})} K(t_{\alpha},t_{\beta}) [/tex]
Thanks.

EDIT: I hope I had posted in the right thread. Should I have posted this in HW help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have got it. It's just calculating the Cartan integers from the basis.

FAQ: Semisimple algebra (Killing form)

1. What is a semisimple algebra?

A semisimple algebra is a type of algebraic structure that is characterized by having no non-trivial ideals (subspaces that are closed under the algebraic operations). It is also known as a simple algebra, as it cannot be decomposed into smaller subalgebras.

2. What is the Killing form of a semisimple algebra?

The Killing form is a bilinear, symmetric form that is defined on a semisimple algebra. It is used to study the structure and representations of the algebra, and is an important tool in the classification of semisimple algebras.

3. How is the Killing form related to the Lie algebra of a semisimple algebra?

The Killing form is closely related to the Lie algebra of a semisimple algebra. In fact, the Killing form can be used to define the Lie algebra structure on the semisimple algebra, and conversely, the Lie algebra can be used to construct the Killing form.

4. What is the significance of the properties of the Killing form?

The Killing form has several important properties that make it a useful tool in studying semisimple algebras. These include being non-degenerate, invariant under automorphisms, and related to the structure constants of the algebra. These properties provide insights into the algebra's structure and representation theory.

5. Are there any applications of semisimple algebras and the Killing form?

Yes, semisimple algebras and the Killing form have many applications in mathematics and physics. They are used in the study of Lie groups and Lie algebras, which have applications in various areas such as differential geometry, quantum mechanics, and particle physics. They are also used in the classification of symmetric spaces and the study of algebraic groups.