Special characters and editing

• Thread starter Hurkyl
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with special characters not displaying correctly when editing a post on WinXP and Opera7 on the Physics Forums website. The suggested solution is to replace the special characters with their original incantation in the "Edit Post" page to fix the issue. This problem has been previously encountered and will be added to the list of bug fixes to be addressed by the website's developer, Warren.
Hurkyl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Ok, this is bugging me again, so I'll say something!

Procedure (on WinXP and Opera7):

(1) Write a post with a special character, like θ.

The character displays fine on the page.

(2) Edit that post.

The character appears fine in my text box.

(3) Save changes.

The character appears as a '?' on the page.

Suggested solution: if possible, replace the special characters with their original incantation, I.E. θ with & theta ;, when you populate the "Edit Post" page.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ah, yes, this is the same problem we had back in an earlier version of PF. The edits I made to the code to fix this problem were overwritten when we upgraded to 3.03. I have a number of bug fixes I need to do, I'll add this to the list.

- Warren

1. What are special characters and why are they important in editing?

Special characters are symbols or signs that are not part of the standard alphabet or keyboard. They are important in editing because they serve different functions, such as indicating punctuation, formatting, or special commands.

2. How do I insert special characters in a document?

The method for inserting special characters varies depending on the document editor or software you are using. In most cases, you can either use keyboard shortcuts or insert them from a special character menu. You can also copy and paste special characters from other sources.

3. Can I use any special character in my document?

Some special characters may not be available in certain fonts or may not be supported by all software. It is best to check the font and software compatibility before using a special character in your document.

4. How do I edit or delete special characters in a document?

To edit or delete a special character, simply click on it and make the desired changes. You can also use the find and replace function to locate and replace specific special characters in your document.

5. Are there any rules or guidelines for using special characters in a document?

Yes, it is important to use special characters appropriately and consistently in your document. Avoid overusing them, as it may make your document look cluttered and difficult to read. It is also best to stick to commonly used special characters to ensure compatibility and readability.