What Causes Earth's Tilt on Its Axis?

• Thread starter jjjsarnis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Axis Tilt
In summary: Richardson in summary,The tilt of the Earth's axis is not caused by a large object like the sun, but by the curvature of space-time. A satellite called Gravity Probe B is currently measuring the precession of the Earth's axis. There are several competing theories about the cause of this precession, but it is still a mystery.
jjjsarnis
i was wondering what causes the Earth's tilt on its axis.

i was thinking that it might be from einsteins theory of gravity, in which a large object, such as the sun, causes a bend in space time forming gravity and causing Earth to rotate around it.

any info would be great, thanks

Astronomy news on Phys.org
jjjsarnis said:
i was thinking that it might be from einsteins theory of gravity, in which a large object, such as the sun, causes a bend in space time forming gravity and causing Earth to rotate around it.
I would disagree because Mercury is smaller and its tilt is about 2° if not less. Same with Jupiter.

The Bob (2004 ©)

I think the theory goes that Earth got its tilt from a huge collision that happened to it very early in it's history. This collision with a Mars-sized object lead to the formation of the moon also.

All the planets have axial tilts: http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/factsheet/planet_table_british.html:
Mercury 0.01
Venus 177.4
Earth 23.5
Mars 25.2
Jupiter 3.1
Saturn 26.7
Uranus 97.8
Neptune 28.3
Pluto 122.5
It is believed this occurred due to collisions in their formative phase. As you can see they are quite random as would be expected from a random cause like collisions.

Last edited by a moderator:
jjjsarnis said:
i was wondering what causes the Earth's tilt on its axis.
Hi jjjsarnis!
No, the curvature of space-time does not cause the tilt of the Earth's axis; however it does cause a very tiny 'tilting over', or precession, called geodetic precession. This is being measured at the moment by the Gravity Probe B satellite. GR predicts a geodetic precession of 6.6 milliarcsecs/year and there are some other gravitational theories, such as Self Creation Cosmology that predict a different amount, it is a genuine 'head-to-head' contest; we shall find out in about a year!

Garth

Last edited:

1. What is Earth's tilt on its axis?

Earth's tilt on its axis refers to the angle at which the Earth's axis is tilted in relation to its orbit around the Sun. This tilt is approximately 23.5 degrees.

2. What causes Earth's tilt on its axis?

The exact cause of Earth's tilt is not fully understood, but it is believed to be due to the gravitational influence of other large bodies in the Solar System, such as the Moon and Jupiter, as well as the Earth's own rotation and orbital motion.

3. How does Earth's tilt affect the seasons?

The Earth's tilt is the main factor that causes the changing of the seasons. When the Earth is tilted towards the Sun, the Northern Hemisphere experiences summer while the Southern Hemisphere experiences winter. As the Earth orbits around the Sun, the tilt changes, causing the opposite seasons in each hemisphere.

4. Does Earth's tilt ever change?

Yes, Earth's tilt does change over long periods of time due to various factors such as gravitational forces from other planets and the Moon, and the redistribution of mass on Earth's surface. However, these changes are very gradual and occur over thousands of years.

5. How does Earth's tilt impact climate?

The Earth's tilt plays a significant role in determining the climate of different regions on Earth. The tilt affects the amount and intensity of sunlight that reaches different parts of the Earth, which in turn, affects temperature and weather patterns. The tilt also contributes to the formation of the Earth's polar ice caps and the global ocean currents.