Einstein ring and Einstein Cross

• I
  • Thread starter hongseok
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Galaxy
hongseok
TL;DR Summary
Why does an Einstein ring sometimes appear and sometimes an Einstein Cross appear?

Some say it is due to the distribution of the mass of the galaxy in front, while others say it is due to alignment. What is right? Are both correct?

If it is due to the galaxy's mass distribution, I wonder if it can be affected by the type of galaxy and the angle between the galaxy's rotation axis and the Earth. I also wonder if the distribution of dark matter could also affect this.
Why does an Einstein ring sometimes appear and sometimes an Einstein Cross appear?

Some say it is due to the distribution of the mass of the galaxy in front, while others say it is due to alignment. What is right? Are both correct?

If it is due to the galaxy's mass distribution, I wonder if it can be affected by the type of galaxy (like an Elliptical Galaxy, Spiral galaxy) and the angle between the galaxy's rotation axis and the Earth. It's the same principle as how the shape of the dot behind the glass looks different depending on the glass model.

I also wonder if the distribution of dark matter could also affect this.
1703567869275.png

Astronomy news on Phys.org
You get a ring from a circularly symmetric mass distribution lensing light from an object more or less directly behind it. You get a cross (or at least you can) from an elliptical mass distribution like a galaxy seen edge on. So yes, if you have two identical disc-shaped galaxies lensing light from two identical sources, you could get a cross from one and a ring from the other depending on the orientations of the lensing galaxies.

Dark matter affects light paths the same as normal matter.

Likes hongseok
Ibix said:
You get a ring from a circularly symmetric mass distribution lensing light from an object more or less directly behind it. You get a cross (or at least you can) from an elliptical mass distribution like a galaxy seen edge on. So yes, if you have two identical disc-shaped galaxies lensing light from two identical sources, you could get a cross from one and a ring from the other depending on the orientations of the lensing galaxies.

Dark matter affects light paths the same as normal matter.
So, is it wrong to say that it is due to alignment?
And can I get a source for your claim?

hongseok said:
So, is it wrong to say that it is due to alignment?
The exact shape will depend on alignment, yes. You'll only get a perfect ring around a perfectly symmetric source perfectly aligned with a perfectly symmetric lens, but you'll get things like the ring illustration in your OP from nearly symmetric situations. I don't think alignment can turn a ring into a cross, although you can certainly have crosses from nearly symmetric situations that can be very ring-like.
hongseok said:
Which one?

Likes hongseok
hongseok said:
If it's just the point about alignment, all orbits around spherically symmetric sources lie in a plane. A source, a lens and an observer that are not colinear define a plane, and only light emitted in this plane can reach the observer. Light emitted in any other direction has a path that lies in a plane that doesn't include the observer. So you will get at most two images, one each side of the lens, that smear into a ring if the source, lens and observer become colinear. Thus alignment can't create a cross from a spherical lens.

Elliptical sources are harder to reason about, but there's detail here: https://lweb.cfa.harvard.edu/~dfabricant/huchra/ay202/lectures/lecture12.pdf. If you can program in python (or anything else where someone's written a numerical integrator) you can get lensing patterns from the weak field metric for arbitrary lens mass distributions if you really want.

• Informative
Likes berkeman and hongseok

What is an Einstein Ring?

An Einstein Ring is a rare phenomenon in which the light from a distant galaxy or star is bent around a closer massive object, due to the gravitational field of the closer object acting as a lens. This bending of light creates a ring-like structure around the lensing object, which can be observed from Earth. This effect is a direct prediction of Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity.

What is an Einstein Cross?

An Einstein Cross is a specific type of gravitational lensing effect. It occurs when a single source of light, like a distant quasar, is aligned very closely behind a massive galaxy from the observer's perspective. The galaxy's gravitational field bends the light from the quasar into four distinct images that form a cross-shaped pattern around the galaxy. This phenomenon also confirms the predictions of general relativity.

How are Einstein Rings and Einstein Crosses used in astronomy?

Einstein Rings and Crosses are used in astronomy to study the properties of distant galaxies and the distribution of dark matter. Since the light from more distant objects is magnified by the lensing effect, astronomers can observe details that would otherwise be too faint or too far to see. Additionally, the amount of bending and the shape of the ring or cross can provide valuable information about the mass and structure of the lensing object, typically a galaxy or a black hole.

What conditions are required for an Einstein Ring or Cross to form?

For an Einstein Ring to form, a perfect or near-perfect alignment is needed between the observer, the lensing object (like a galaxy or black hole), and the source of the light (such as a distant galaxy or quasar). The size and shape of the ring depend on the mass of the lensing object and the exact alignment. For an Einstein Cross to form, the alignment must be slightly off-center, causing the light to split into multiple distinct images rather than a continuous ring.

Have many Einstein Rings and Crosses been observed?

While not extremely common, several Einstein Rings and Crosses have been observed with the help of powerful telescopes equipped with high-resolution imaging capabilities. The Hubble Space Telescope, in particular, has been instrumental in detecting these phenomena. Each new discovery provides important insights into the nature of galaxies and the distribution of matter in the universe, including the elusive dark matter.