Perception of Time: Exploring 15 Historical Events

In summary, the conversation is about a person writing a paper on the evolution of the perception of time throughout history. They plan to focus on 15 important periods/events, such as the emergence of our Solar System, the rise of agriculture, and industrialization. Some events will be described from a human perspective while others will take a more abstract approach. The writer is struggling with how to connect the topics of the rise of agriculture, Big States, Caesar's war in Gaul, and industrialization to the perception of time. They are open to any ideas or theories on how to approach these events from a time perspective and plan to share their paper when it is finished.
Verdictt
Good day everyone,
I am writing a paper on the topic of how the perception of time has evolved, over the course of big history.
(For anyone who doesn't know what big history is, you can read about it on Wikipedia (I cannot link)

Now, the way the paper is set up is that I take 15 important periods or events in the course of the history of the universe and I write about 400 words on how the perspective of time in that specific period is/was or evolved. These events include (but are not limited to) The emergence of our Solar System, the emergence of life, early humans, the rise of agriculture and early globalisation. Some of the periods will be described from a more human perspective, others from a more abstract perspective. For example, writing about the human perception of time before the emergence of animals is difficult, so I'd rather look at it from a more abstract point of view, such as circadian rhythms.

In writing the paper, there are some events (I am writing this for an assignment, thus I am required to describe all the events) that are inherently more related to time than others. Some of them are rather hard to link, such as the co-evolution of the planet and life, and others are easy.

If you are interested, I'd be more than happy to share my paper with you guys when I finish it (which will be somewhere this week), but for now I am actually looking for some of your input!

The topics The rise of agriculture, Big States, Caesar’s war in Gaul and Industrialization remain difficult topics for me to describe from this perspective. With Big States I mean the rise of the first truly big civilizations, those that successfully claim the monopoly on the legitimate use of physical force
and the monopoly on taxation. This is around the time that iron weapons became widely available and that religion became a major tool of influence over the community, along with bureaucracy. Say the period between 1000 BC and 1000 AC.
The other topics should be rather straightforward as to what they mean.

I'd be very happy with any ideas whatsoever on how to approach these events or periods from a perception of time perspective, any input is greatly appreciated. Anything from great theories about what time is such as from Kant to inventions like Gunter's Quadrant are a big help.

TL;DR:
I am writing a paper on the perception of time. Can you help me link this to the periods/events The rise of agriculture, Big States, Caesar’s war in Gaul and Industrialization? If you are interested, I can post my paper here after I am done.

Physics news on Phys.org
I really have no clue what you mean by the "perception of time". For example, at "the emergence of the solar system", who or what is supposed to be doing the "perceiving"?

You might be interested in Hawking's "A Brief History of Time".

What is the concept of time perception?

The concept of time perception refers to the way in which individuals experience and interpret the passage of time. It includes both subjective experiences, such as the feeling that time is passing quickly or slowly, as well as objective measurements of time, such as clock time.

How does perception of time differ among individuals?

Perception of time can vary greatly among individuals, as it is influenced by factors such as age, culture, and personal experiences. For example, children and older adults may have a different perception of time due to their developmental stage, while individuals from different cultures may have different cultural norms and values that shape their perception of time.

What is the role of memory in time perception?

Memory plays a crucial role in time perception, as our perception of time is heavily influenced by our memories of past events. Our perception of the passage of time can also be distorted by our memory, as we may perceive time as passing more quickly or slowly based on how many memories we have of a particular period.

How do emotions impact our perception of time?

Emotions can greatly impact our perception of time. For example, when we are engaged in an enjoyable activity, time may seem to pass quickly, while waiting for something unpleasant can make time seem to drag on. Additionally, heightened emotional states, such as stress or fear, can cause time to feel distorted.

How does technology affect our perception of time?

Technology has had a significant impact on our perception of time, as it has allowed us to measure and track time more accurately. It has also changed the pace of our daily lives, with the constant use of technology often making time feel like it is passing more quickly. Additionally, technology has also created new ways for us to experience time, such as through virtual reality or time-lapse videos.