Light Leaving Earth-Observer's View of Events in Time

• B
  • Thread starter happyhacker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earth Light
In summary, "Light Leaving Earth-Observer's View of Events in Time" is a phenomenon where light travels from Earth to an observer's point of view at a different time than it was emitted due to the finite speed of light and vast distances in space. Light travels at a speed of approximately 299,792,458 meters per second and it takes about 8 minutes and 20 seconds for light to travel from the Sun to Earth. We cannot see events on Earth in real time from a faraway observer's point of view because of the finite speed of light. The distance between Earth and an observer affects the view of events in time, as the farther away an observer is, the longer it takes for light to reach them. The
happyhacker
TL;DR Summary
Light traveling from Earth
Would an observer many light years from Earth (and approaching say) see events leading onwards through time (to what level of detail i am not proposing but say weather and maybe Humans on the ground?) in the light received?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I don't know what you are trying to ask.

An observer ten light years away will see the Earth as it was in 2011. If they then set off to Earth at 0.8c the journey will take them 12.5 years by Earth clocks, which time dilation reduces to 7.5 years by shipboard clocks. So they will arrive in late 2033, having seen the history of the Earth from 2011 to 2033 in ×3 fast-forward in the 7.5 years they experience, if that's what you are asking.

Edit: building a sufficiently powerful telescope to image the Earth in any detail from 10ly, and getting it moving at 0.8c, are left as exercises for the reader.

Last edited:
Likes davenn and Vanadium 50
happyhacker said:
Summary:: Light traveling from Earth.

Would an observer many light years from Earth (and approaching say) see events leading onwards through time (to what level of detail i am not proposing but say weather and maybe Humans on the ground?) in the light received?
There's a short video here that might interest you:

Likes RandyD123 and Ibix
If you are asking if a fast-approaching traveler will see things in reverse, the answer is no. The light nearest Earth always shows the more recent events. So a traveler will see everything in the correct order, whether the light comes to him, or he speeds toward the Earth, or both. He will just see it in a compressed time.

Likes sophiecentaur
Ibix said:
So they will arrive in late 2033, having seen the history of the Earth from 2011 to 2033 in ×3 fast-forward in the 7.5 years they experience, if that's what you are asking.
If they don't stop and just carry on, by the way, it shifts to ×3 slow-motion as they pass Earth and start moving away, assuming they just keep going at the same speed.

Likes sophiecentaur
Thanks, great answers even though I was not entirely clear with my question. What is the maths for the time dilation?

happyhacker said:
Thanks, great answers even though I was not entirely clear with my question. What is the maths for the time dilation?
The time dilation factor is usually written ##\gamma## and is ##\gamma=\frac 1{\sqrt{1-v^2/ ^2}}##. If you plug in ##v=0.8c## and multiply ##\gamma## by the 12.5 year travel time you'll get the 7.5 years the travellers experience.

Note that time dilation is not enough to explain relativistic effects in general, although it works here. If you try to apply it to different scenarios you may well find yourself confused - you should look up the Lorentz transforms if you want more general tools.

If you are interested in the rate at which you will "see" events happen, the frequency of any series of events encoded in the light will simply be Doppler shifted according to the usual relativistic equations.

happyhacker said:
The relevant equation here would be the relativistic Doppler effect:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativistic_Doppler_effect

Which also gives you the apparent change in time between events when moving towards or away from something.

Last edited:
Likes hutchphd

1. What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum.

2. How long does it take for light to travel from the Earth to the Moon?

Light takes approximately 1.3 seconds to travel from the Earth to the Moon.

3. Can light travel forever?

Yes, in theory, light can travel forever as long as it does not encounter any obstacles or dissipate.

4. How does the observer's position affect the perception of events in time?

The observer's position can affect the perception of events in time because the speed of light is constant for all observers, but the distance and time intervals between events can vary depending on the observer's relative motion.

5. How does light leaving Earth allow us to see into the past?

Light leaving Earth allows us to see into the past because it takes time for light to travel from distant objects to our eyes. Therefore, when we look at objects that are far away, we are actually seeing them as they were in the past, since the light has taken time to reach us.