Solving Circuits Problem with 3 Equations

• Thread starter Corneo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuits
In summary, the person is asking for help with a problem where they have more unknowns than equations. They have three equations and are given the current for three meshes and two voltages, but do not know anything about the components in the circuits. The equations involve phasors, and the person does not want to repeatedly type \mathbf. The expert suggests expanding the real and imaginary parts to get three more equations, as the person effectively has six equations and six unknowns.
Corneo
Hi, I would like some hints on this problem here. I seem to have too many unknowns than equations that I can write. Assume that I am given the current for the three meshes and the two voltages. However I don't know anything about the components in the circuits.

I have these 3 equations, note that the currents I and V are all phasors. I just don't want to type \mathbf over and over again.

[tex]I_1 Z_4 + (I_1 - I_3)Z_{L_3} = V_{S_1}[/tex]
[tex](I_2- I_3)Z_{C_2} + I_2 Z_5 = V_{S_2}[/tex]
[tex]I_3 R_3 + I_3 Z_{L_3} + (I_3 - I_2)Z_{C_2} + (I_3 - I_1)Z_{L_1} = 0[/tex]

How can I solve for anyone of the components?

Attachments

• temp.bmp
    28.6 KB · Views: 486
Physics news on Phys.org
Corneo said:
Hi, I would like some hints on this problem here. I seem to have too many unknowns than equations that I can write. Assume that I am given the current for the three meshes and the two voltages. However I don't know anything about the components in the circuits.

I have these 3 equations, note that the currents I and V are all phasors. I just don't want to type \mathbf over and over again.

[tex]I_1 Z_4 + (I_1 - I_3)Z_{L_3} = V_{S_1}[/tex]
[tex](I_2- I_3)Z_{C_2} + I_2 Z_5 = V_{S_2}[/tex]
[tex]I_3 R_3 + I_3 Z_{L_3} + (I_3 - I_2)Z_{C_2} + (I_3 - I_1)Z_{L_1} = 0[/tex]

How can I solve for anyone of the components?

If you have all the phasors, then you have more than three equations. Each of your equations can be divided into phase components (real and imaginary parts if you are using complex representation). Looks to me like you effectively have six equations and six unknowns.

So your saying I should expand out the real and imaginary parts to get 3 more equations?

Corneo said:
So your saying I should expand out the real and imaginary parts to get 3 more equations?

Yes. That's the way it looks to me. You can write the impedences as complex and you have the voltages and currents as complex. The reals must equal the reals and the imaginaries must equal the imaginaries.

1. What are the three equations used in solving circuits problems?

The three equations used in solving circuits problems are Ohm's Law, Kirchhoff's Voltage Law, and Kirchhoff's Current Law.

2. How do you use Ohm's Law in solving circuits problems?

Ohm's Law states that the current flowing through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage applied and inversely proportional to the resistance of the conductor. This can be represented by the equation I = V/R, where I is the current in amperes, V is the voltage in volts, and R is the resistance in ohms.

3. What is Kirchhoff's Voltage Law and how is it used in solving circuits problems?

Kirchhoff's Voltage Law states that the algebraic sum of all the voltage drops in a closed loop must equal the algebraic sum of the voltage sources in that loop. This law is used to determine the voltage drops across each component in a circuit.

4. How do you apply Kirchhoff's Current Law in solving circuits problems?

Kirchhoff's Current Law states that the algebraic sum of all the currents entering and exiting a node in a circuit must equal zero. This law is used to determine the current flowing through each branch in a circuit.

5. What are some common strategies for solving circuits problems with 3 equations?

Some common strategies for solving circuits problems with 3 equations include setting up a system of equations, using substitution or elimination to solve for the unknown variables, and checking the solution for consistency with the given circuit conditions. It is also important to properly label the components in the circuit and apply the correct equations to each component.