Complex RLC Circuit Problem (System of diff eqs)

milkism
Homework Statement
I need to find the six currents I_i(t) via a system of diff eqs.
Relevant Equations
V=IR, Q=CV, etc
The following circuit is:
1701517638743.png

Going clockwise the current ##I_1## goes through resistor ##R_1## and voltage ##V_11##. Current ##I_2## goes through capacitator ##C_1## and ##R_2##.
Current ##I_3## goes through resistors ##R_3## and ##R_4##. Current ##I_4## goes through resistor ##R_5##, but from left to right.
Current ##I_5## goes through the inductor ##L_1## from right to left. And current ##I_6## goes through the voltage ##V_2## from under to above.
I have found the initial values of the currents, when the capacitator acts like a perfect a conductor.
$$I_1 = 0.57$$, $$I_2 = 1.20$$, $$I_3 = 0.57$$, $$I_4 = -0.63$$, $$I_5 = 0$$ and $$I_6 = 0.63$$.
I have gotten these results through these equations:
$$I_2=I_1+ I_6$$, $$V_1 = I_1 ( R_1 + R_3 + R_4) + I_2 * R_2$$, $$V_2 = I_2 * R_2 + I_6 * R_5$$, $$I_1 = I_3$$, $$I_5 = 0$$, $$I_6 = -I_4$$.
For final I have:
$$I_1 = 0.35$$, $$I_2 = 0$$, $$I_3 = 0$$, $$I_4 = 0$$, $$I_5 = 0.35$$ and $$I_6 = -0.35$$.
I have gotten these results through these equations:
$$I_5 + I_3 = I_1$$, $$-I_5 -I_6 - I_4 = 0$$, $$V_1 - V_2 = I_1 * R_1$$, $$V_1 - V_2 = I_1 * R_1 + I_4 * (R_3 + R_4 + R_2)$$, $$I_2 = 0$, $I_4 = I_3$$.
Now the question is, to find the currents at any time. For the top-left branch I got differential equation:
$$V_1 - V_2 = I_1 * R_1 + L \frac{dI_5}{dt}$$ or $$V_1 - V_2 = \frac{dQ_1}{dt} * R_1 + L \frac{d^2Q_5}{d^2t}$$
For top-right branch I got:
$$V_2 = \frac{1}{C} \int I_2 dt + I_2 * R_2 - I_4 * R_5$$ or $$V_2 = \frac{Q_2}{C} + \frac{dQ_2}{dt} R_2 - \frac{dQ_4}{dt} * R_5$$
For the rectangular branch below I got (going clockwise)
$$0=- L \frac{dI_5}{dt} + I_4 * R_5 + I_3 * (R_3 + R_4)$$ or $$0=- L \frac{d^2 Q_5}{d^2t} + \frac{dQ_4}{dt} * R_5 + \frac{dQ_3}{dt} * (R_3 + R_4)$$
I can make an another loop for the outer branch, but you can see each differential equation depends on too many time-dependant variables. So I really have no idea to do!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried using Laplace Transforms? Are they saying that both voltage sources switch on at time zero?

scottdave said:
Have you tried using Laplace Transforms? Are they saying that both voltage sources switch on at time zero?
I can solve the differential equations with python. And yes both voltages switch on at time zero.

What do you need help with?

Does the python package solve it numerically or analytically?

Last edited:
scottdave said:
What do you need help with?

Does the python packages solve it numerically or analytically?
I need help to find enough differential equations to solve for the 6 currents.

Was this helpful @milkism ? Try making an eqauation for the bottom loop.

Which node equations are helpful?

I am curious, what python packages were you using?

Last edited:
Likes SammyS

1. How do you solve a complex RLC circuit problem?

To solve a complex RLC circuit problem, you typically start by writing a system of differential equations based on Kirchhoff's laws. Then, you can solve these equations using techniques such as Laplace transforms or matrix methods.

2. What are the key components of a complex RLC circuit?

The key components of a complex RLC circuit are the resistor (R), inductor (L), and capacitor (C). These components interact with each other to create a dynamic system that can exhibit behaviors such as oscillation and resonance.

3. How do you determine the natural frequency of a complex RLC circuit?

To determine the natural frequency of a complex RLC circuit, you can use the formula: f = 1 / (2π√(LC)). This formula takes into account the values of the inductance (L) and capacitance (C) in the circuit.

4. What is the significance of the quality factor in a complex RLC circuit?

The quality factor (Q) in a complex RLC circuit represents the ratio of energy stored to energy dissipated in the circuit. A higher quality factor indicates a more efficient circuit with less energy loss.

5. How do you analyze the transient response of a complex RLC circuit?

To analyze the transient response of a complex RLC circuit, you can use techniques such as solving the differential equations for the circuit or using Laplace transforms. This helps you understand how the circuit behaves over time when subjected to a sudden change or input.