Carbon Fiber Strip Buckling Force Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a CFRP sheet as a spring actuator by utilizing its buckling phenomena. The main questions raised are the force exerted when the sheet buckles, the required displacement for buckling, and the force needed to reach the buckling point. The strip will be supported at both ends and only lateral force will be applied to initiate buckling. The options for solving this problem include using simulation software or manual calculations.
Tomas1337
Hey,

So I`ve been trying to wrap my mind on how to solve this problem. I`m trying to use a CFRP Sheet as sort of a spring actuator by using it`s buckling phenomena to deliver a force to the body it`s attached to. Kind of vague so here is a video:

This video does it electrically, but I want to be able to do this by using mechanical forces.

What i want to know are:
1) The force it will exert when it does buckle under different parameters (that whipping motion)
2) What displacement it needs for it to buckle
3) How much force needed to push it to its buckling point.

This strip will be supported at both ends by a pin joint and will initially be bent to one side. The only external force that will be acting is a force acting laterally on the strip to displace it so it can reach the point where it will buckle to the other side.

I`m not actually sure where to start with this. I can either use simulation software to solve for these (If you can point me to the right software for this that`d be great!). Or I can do it the hard way and use pen and paper. Can someone point me to the right direction?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

1. What is a Carbon Fiber Strip Buckling Force Problem?

A Carbon Fiber Strip Buckling Force Problem is a phenomenon that occurs when a thin strip of carbon fiber material is subjected to an external compressive force, causing it to bend and buckle under the pressure. This can lead to structural instability and potential failure of the material.

2. What factors contribute to the buckling force of a carbon fiber strip?

The buckling force of a carbon fiber strip is influenced by a variety of factors, including the thickness and width of the strip, the material properties of the carbon fiber, the type of loading (e.g. compression, tension), and the boundary conditions (e.g. fixed or free ends).

3. How is the buckling force of a carbon fiber strip calculated?

The buckling force of a carbon fiber strip can be calculated using various equations and formulas, such as Euler's buckling formula or the Johnson's parabolic formula. These calculations take into account the dimensions and properties of the strip, as well as the applied external force.

4. What are the consequences of a carbon fiber strip buckling?

If a carbon fiber strip buckles, it can lead to structural failure and compromise the overall stability and strength of the material. This can have serious consequences, especially in industries where carbon fiber is used for its lightweight and high strength properties, such as aerospace or automotive.

5. How can the buckling force of a carbon fiber strip be prevented?

To prevent buckling in carbon fiber strips, engineers and scientists can use various techniques such as increasing the thickness or width of the strip, using different types of carbon fiber with higher compressive strength, or implementing reinforcement structures and supports. Finite element analysis and testing can also help determine the optimal design to prevent buckling.