Light Reflection in Right-Angle Prisms

• Thread starter [AFT]
  • Start date
In summary, when a ray of light enters a non-hypotenuse side of a right-angle prism at a perpendicular angle, it is reflected off the interior of the hypotenuse at a 90* angle and exits through the other non-hypotenuse side. However, if the light enters at a non-perpendicular angle, it may refract and/or reflect at the hypotenuse depending on the angle of incidence. The details can be calculated using Snell's Law and geometry. The critical angle of a specific glass prism may not be exactly 45*, but it will be similar. Refraction and reflection can both occur at incident angles less than 45*. The diagrams presented are based on a right angle glass prism with a
[AFT]
i understand that when a ray of light enters a non-hypotenuse side of a right-angle prism at the perpendicular angle (90*) , it is reflected off the interior of the hypotenuse at a 90* angle, exiting out the other non-hypotenuse side

how would light travel through a right angle prism if: the light entered a non-hypotenuse side of the prism at a non-perpendicular angle??

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It refracts as it enters the prism and may or may not be totally internally reflected at the hypotenuse, depending on the angle with which it arrives at the hypotenuse. If it's not totally reflected, some will be refracted through the hypotenuse side and some will be reflected. The reflected ray emerges through one of the other sides. The details depend on the original incoming angle, and can be calculated by using Snell's Law and a bit of geometry at the refraction points.

oh rite.. snell's law... ok, thanks.

please confirm these diagrams of me!

i understand that the critical angle of a specific glass prism may not be exactly 45*... but i know it will be similar to that.

also, i understand that refraction will occur at incident angles less than 45*... but reflection also occurs as well right??

Thus said, I would greatly appreciate if someone could confirm these two diagrams for me.

- they are based on a right angle glass prism with critical angle 45*
- the incident & reflected angles are measured from the hypotenuse to the respective rays.

thanks!

Attachments

• right_prism_angles.JPG
    right_prism_angles.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 604
  • right_prism_angles2.JPG
    right_prism_angles2.JPG
    13.5 KB · Views: 586

FAQ: Light Reflection in Right-Angle Prisms

1. What is a right-angle prism?

A right-angle prism is a type of prism that has a 90-degree angle between two of its faces. It is commonly used to reflect and redirect light at a 90-degree angle.

2. How does light reflect in a right-angle prism?

When light enters a right-angle prism, it strikes one face at an angle and is refracted (bent) as it passes through the prism. It then reflects off the other two faces at a 90-degree angle before exiting the prism.

3. What is the law of reflection in right-angle prisms?

The law of reflection states that the angle of incidence (the angle at which light enters the prism) is equal to the angle of reflection (the angle at which light reflects off the prism's surface).

4. How is total internal reflection used in right-angle prisms?

In certain cases, light can be reflected off the third face of a right-angle prism instead of passing through it. This phenomenon, known as total internal reflection, is used to create optical devices such as periscopes and binoculars.

5. What are some practical applications of right-angle prisms?

Right-angle prisms are commonly used in optical instruments, such as cameras, telescopes, and microscopes. They are also used in laser technology, fiber optics, and in the construction of certain types of mirrors.