Minimum deviation in prism spectroscope

In summary, the conversation discusses using a spectroscope to analyze visible light from a mercury lamp and determine the refraction index of a prism. The minimum deviation angle depends on the wavelength and can be experimentally determined for different spectral lines. The speaker wants to find the minimum deviation condition for red and violet and use that to estimate the value for other wavelengths. They also mention a formula for calculating deviation and state that under minimum deviation condition, the deviation is equal to twice the angle of incidence minus the vertex angle of the prism. The conversation ends with a discussion on the behavior of minimum deviation as a function of frequency and the difficulty in predicting which wavelength will have the highest deviation for a given condition. The speaker is seeking suggestions or references for further information
crick
Suppose that I use a prism (vertex angle ##\alpha##) spectroscope to analyze a beam of visible light from a mercury lamp (different wavelenghts) and I want the determine the refraction index of the prism using the minmum deviation angles ##D_{min}##

$$n(\lambda)=\frac{\mathrm{sin}(\frac{D_{min}(\lambda)+\alpha }{2})}{\mathrm{sin}\frac{\alpha}{2}}$$

##D_{min}## depends on ##\lambda## and so does ##n##.
Nevertheless suppose that, even if I want to find experimentally ##D_{min}## for all the spectral lines that I see in the spectroscope, I want to do the setting of the prism for minmum deviation condition only for the two extreme ones, say a violet and a red and then try to extimate the values of ##D_{min}## for other wavelenghts from these two. (I know that this is not theoretically correct).

Therefore I set the prism in the condition of minimum deviation for red and then I measure the angle of deviation ##D## for all the other ##\lambda##s (i'll take, for example, the yellow one) and then I repeat the same procedure but setting the condition of minimum deviation for violet.

My question is: should I expect that $$D_{yellow_{\mathrm{minmum \, deviation \, condition \,for \,RED}}}<D_{yellow_{\mathrm{minmum \, deviation \, condition \,for \,VIOLET}}}$$
or the opposite? Or nothing can be said?

More generally how does ##D_{yellow}## vary as a function of the wavelenght (or frequency) for which the minimum deviation condition is set in the spectroscope?

Alternatevely, called ##i## the angle of incidence on the prism of the beam, what should I expect for the relation between ##D_{min}##, ##\lambda## and ##i##?

I know that $$D(i)=i -\alpha +\mathrm{arcsin}(\mathrm{sin}\sqrt{n^2+\mathrm{sin }^2 i}-\mathrm{cos} \alpha \,\,\,\mathrm{sin}i)$$

Which leads to something like

1456296653_graph.jpg

Also, under minimum deviation condition, ##D_{min}=2i-\alpha##.

But what is the relation ##D_{min}(\lambda)##? As far as I understood it should be decreasing (therefore ##D_{min}(f)## is increasing), but i do not think that it is a direct proportionality (correct?)

If what I said is correct, then suppose to plot ##D_{yellow_{\mathrm{minmum \, deviation \, condition \,for \,RED}}}## and ##D_{yellow_{\mathrm{minmum \, deviation \, condition \,for \,VIOLET}}}## as a function of the frequencies of red and violet. Should I expect to have a curve of tendency as the one in picture?
gdrhdr.png

If this is the case then I cannot say which between red or violet would give the higher deviation for yellow, unless there is a way to get the function that describes the behaviour in the above graph, is there one?

Any suggestion on the topic or reference on where to find information about this is highly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
What are you actually wanting to find? What frequencies are you choosing for your R,Y and V? and why did you want to minimise the deviation for yellow? Does it have some special significance for you?
A reference isn't really required here because the theory is pretty straightforward (ideal case). You could be lucky and find something published about your particular problem but I presume you have already does some searching.
Snell's Law and a bit of simple ray tracing will give you the path for any given frequency, numerically. If you want a minimum deviation for yellow then just calculate it over a range of incidence angles to find the minimum. You could do it analytically, I guess but you would end up with a long equation to solve.

1. What is minimum deviation in prism spectroscope?

Minimum deviation in prism spectroscope refers to the angle at which a ray of light is diffracted by a prism and emerges parallel to its original direction. This angle is the smallest possible deviation that can be achieved with a particular prism and wavelength of light.

2. How is minimum deviation calculated?

The minimum deviation is calculated using the equation:
Minimum Deviation = (Angle of Prism + Angle of Incidence) / 2

3. What is the significance of minimum deviation in prism spectroscope?

Minimum deviation is an important factor in determining the accuracy and precision of a prism spectroscope. It helps in identifying the refractive index of a material and can also be used to measure the dispersion of light.

4. How does the angle of incidence affect the minimum deviation in prism spectroscope?

The angle of incidence plays a crucial role in determining the minimum deviation in a prism spectroscope. As the angle of incidence increases, the minimum deviation also increases, resulting in a larger angle of deviation. This is due to the fact that with a larger angle of incidence, the light ray is more likely to undergo internal reflection within the prism, resulting in a larger deviation angle.

5. What factors can affect the minimum deviation in prism spectroscope?

There are several factors that can affect the minimum deviation in a prism spectroscope, such as the refractive index of the prism material, the angle of incidence, the wavelength of light, and the shape of the prism. Additionally, any imperfections or impurities in the prism can also impact the minimum deviation.